× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR1000 not connecting to the Internet

Xavy
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR1000 not connecting to the Internet

So I'm trying to use this router that I have, I honestly didn't buy it I have no clue how it got there but before I go to buy another one I'm trying to get this XR1000 one to work. Me and my family have Frontier Fiber Internet, we don't have a modem just one of the boxes in the wall that I believe is called an ONT box. Before trying this XR1000 we have been using an eero 6 pro which worked just fine with the same cable. When trying to setup the XR1000, I just plugged the Ethernet cable that was originally plugged into the eero 6 pro and plugged it into the XR1000 and the Internet refuses to "connect" or turn on or whatever. The Internet led symbol does not even turn amber it just stays off so maybe I'm doing something wrong? First time using and trying a Nighthawk router so any help would be great thank you 🙂
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk XR1000 not connecting to the Internet

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the XR router?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you accessed the interface and completed the Setup Wizard? You will need to do this before you're able to get internet.
Message 3 of 10
Xavy
Aspirant

No I have not because it won't let me connect to the Netgear Internet in general which means I cannot use the app to do anything 😞
Message 4 of 10
Xavy
Aspirant

Unfortunately I do not know the answer to most of the questions 😅 but this is what I am trying to connect the Netgear router to. Idk if this is possible to do. I connected this to the router using the cable given to us, and then I tried a cat6a cable and still nothing 😕
Message 5 of 10
Xavy
Aspirant

Also sorry yes I did try and restart everything and still no cigar :c
Message 6 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You don't need internet access to access the router interface - what do you see when putting http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser?
Message 7 of 10
Xavy
Aspirant

Nothing happens 😞
Message 8 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is nothing though, what is actually shown, can you provide a screenshot please?
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask your ISP if there is any VLAN or PPPoE user account information needed to be set on the router. They might be able to help you on this. 

@Xavy wrote:
Also sorry yes I did try and restart everything and still no cigar :c

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series