× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Can't Get DumaOS in AP mode

Adam1712
Aspirant

XR500 Can't Get DumaOS in AP mode

Due to delayed FTTP installation and moving into a garden room, I'm currently using my XR500 in AP mode (I think) but its wired only and I can't enable wireless by the button on the XR500 router. 

When I plugged it in I got a pop-up saying it auto changed some settings to avoid clashing with the BT hub (I assume this was automatically changing into AP mode)

Tried to get to DumaOS and the usual address is just timing out, does anyone have any idea how to get onto it? Or otherwise advice on how to enable wifi?

Tried factory resetting (although I'm not sure if it's even doing anything)

Currently

BT Home Hub (Ethernet 1) > XR500 (Ethernet 1)

XR500 (Ethernet 2) > PC 

Internet works, I'm on the PC typing this, but I need the Wifi to connect my work laptop (it doesn't have an ethernet port)

Tried 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.0.1 / routerlogin.com

Will be using the XR500 as a proper router again once FTTP is installed, but at this point I don't even know how I would get back into the settings to disable AP mode

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Adam1712
Aspirant

Re: XR500 Can't Get DumaOS in AP mode

For anyone else's benefit in future, it seems like the router (XR500) went into some sort of bridge mode whilst requiring a TFTP firmware update.. I did this and it's all reset and working as it should now in AP mode, internet into WAN port, can access DumaOS via IP address given in BT Hub.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

When you change to AP mode the normal access methods are changed, i.e. IP address. So you'll need to first look at the host routers connected client table to see what the IP address is thats given to the XR router in AP mode, and use this new IP address to connect to the XRs web page while in AP mode. 

Message 2 of 12
Adam1712
Aspirant

In the host router the only devices shown are the devices that connect to the XR500, not the XR500 itself, when I disconnect my everything from the XR500 it appears there are no connections to the BT hub

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the XR connected to the host router using the XR routers yellow WAN port while in AP mode? 
It should be listed as a connected device on the host routers web page. 

Message 4 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Easiest thing to do would be to factory reset and setup from scratch which would be better for your new connection
Message 5 of 12
Adam1712
Aspirant

No, if I use the yellow port I don't get a connection at all. ethernet from host router into port 1 of the XR500, pc plugged into port 2 of the XR500. 

Just tried plugging XR500 into WAN port and then used a separate laptop on the host router to go into hub settings, still nothing showing on the connections.

Message 6 of 12
Adam1712
Aspirant

I don't think the reset button is working, held it for 30 second and the lights do nothing to suggest it's doing anything, Spotify doesn't even drop out!

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yellow WAN port needs to be used to connect the XR router to the hose router while in AP mode. 

You'll need to contact the mfr or ISP with this host routers configuration see why it's not being seen there. It should be seen there as a connected device. 

Message 8 of 12
Adam1712
Aspirant

'Yellow WAN port needs to be used to connect the XR router to the hose router while in AP mode. 

You'll need to contact the mfr or ISP with this host routers configuration see why it's not being seen there. It should be seen there as a connected device.'

My issue is, it actually works as an access point (wired only) if I plug it into port 1, when I plug into the WAN port it doesn't

Message 9 of 12
Adam1712
Aspirant

For anyone else's benefit in future, it seems like the router (XR500) went into some sort of bridge mode whilst requiring a TFTP firmware update.. I did this and it's all reset and working as it should now in AP mode, internet into WAN port, can access DumaOS via IP address given in BT Hub.

Message 10 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for posting your solution!
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7