Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replaced BT WholeHub with Orbi 852 - Copied SSID and password but nothing reconnects

RussQuick
Tutor

Replaced BT WholeHub with Orbi 852 - Copied SSID and password but nothing reconnects

Hi all,

Hope someone can help, its driving me Bonkers after spending £400 on this gear.

So I managed to overcome the BT hurdle of connecting the Orbi Router straight to the FTTP box on the wall from BT and connected details using PPPoE, all fine interent connection sorted.

However, upon setup of the ORbi  I used the card from the back of my old Wholehome hub mesh netwrok to copy the SSID and password which is what all the 30-40 devices in my home were connected to, through the old BT HOMEhub and satellites around the house. Done on the assumption this would beeasier and they would all reconnect.
However not one of them has re-established connection. I have checked the details for the Orbi SSID and password to make sure it matches the old details and its spot on yet nothing reconnects.
If I go to some of the items like TV's and Apple TV's the netwrok shows up with the same name when looking at available networks, ill click it but then it askes for the password. It seems something is telling the devices its not the same netwrok, despite it having the same SSID and password.
I have checked IP range and thats goes from .2 to .254.

Very frustrating and like a lot of people seem to say on here tempted to send it all back and revert to the old.

I do have some hardwired items in it which are showing up and working fine.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
RussQuick
Tutor

Re: Replaced BT WholeHub with Orbi 852 - Copied SSID and password but nothing reconnects

Sorry everyone - I may have wasted your time. Despite starring at the SSID and password for 4hrs straight turned out that going to work and coming home got my mind onto others things and I have come Back to see that within the SSID I missed 1 Capital letter. All Wifi clients have now rejoined.
Thanks for your support though

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

Re: Replaced BT WholeHub with Orbi 852 - Copied SSID and password but nothing reconnects

@RussQuick wrote:

So I managed to overcome the BT hurdle of connecting the Orbi Router straight to the FTTP box on the wall from BT and connected details using PPPoE, all fine interent connection sorted.

What is this WholeHub? Is that the Wholehome Hub? The Smart Hub?

What connects that to the Internet?

What is the "FTTP box on the wall"?

However, upon setup of the ORbi  I used the card from the back of my old Wholehome hub mesh netwrok to copy the SSID and password which is what all the 30-40 devices in my home were connected to, through the old BT HOMEhub and satellites around the house. Done on the assumption this would beeasier and they would all reconnect.

Are you saying that you went into a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI) for the Orbi and gave it the same SSID and password that you used with the BT kit?

However not one of them has re-established connection. I have checked the details for the Orbi SSID and password to make sure it matches the old details and its spot on yet nothing reconnects.
If I go to some of the items like TV's and Apple TV's the netwrok shows up with the same name when looking at available networks, ill click it but then it askes for the password. It seems something is telling the devices its not the same netwrok, despite it having the same SSID and password.

So, it is the wifi clients that cause the problem while you assume that it is the Orbi router. Sadly, wifi clients have wills of their own. They may not rely solely on the SSID and password to check the wifi. Some will want to verify the MAC address.

Have you tried setting up one of these wifi clients from scratch to see if it will connect to the Orbi network?

I have checked IP range and thats goes from .2 to .254.

And the bit at the front is?

I fear that your attempts to circumvent the setup process may be getting in the way. Have you tried this issue in the BT Community? I see several similar discussions there.

Message 2 of 5
RussQuick
Tutor

Thanks for your reply

What is this WholeHub? Is that the Wholehome Hub? The Smart Hub? Smart HUb used to connect to a mesh netwrok which boost the smarthub around the home and BT call this the Wholehome I think

What connects that to the Internet? The box on wall was wired (etherent) into Smarthub and then wholehome satellites create the Mesh network. But the new setup is doing away with all that BT stuff and I am just plugging the orbi in as a router and then an orbi satellite on other side of the house

What is the "FTTP box on the wall"? Apologies I am calling things names that I believe they are called but I am no expert so not 100% things like "FTTP box" on the wall is the right name. EssentiallThe line comes straight to the door and then there is a box on the wall that came with the house a new build and then a etherent cable comes from that to the Router.

Are you saying that you went into a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI) for the Orbi and gave it the same SSID and password that you used with the BT kit? Yes but using the Orbi App during Setup

So, it is the wifi clients that cause the problem while you assume that it is the Orbi router. Sadly, wifi clients have wills of their own. They may not rely solely on the SSID and password to check the wifi. Some will want to verify the MAC address.

Have you tried setting up one of these wifi clients from scratch to see if it will connect to the Orbi network? I have connected an Ipad , that wasnt used with the setup and it connected fine, when I enter the password and connect it like that. Seems like its things its a diifferent SSID rather than the same.

And the bit at the front is? Sorry could you explain what this means

I fear that your attempts to circumvent the setup process may be getting in the way. Have you tried this issue in the BT Community? I see several similar discussions there.No I have tried this on BT as I assummed it was an Orbi set up issue

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Message 3 of 5
RussQuick
Tutor

Sorry everyone - I may have wasted your time. Despite starring at the SSID and password for 4hrs straight turned out that going to work and coming home got my mind onto others things and I have come Back to see that within the SSID I missed 1 Capital letter. All Wifi clients have now rejoined.
Thanks for your support though

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7