× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My R6400v2 network name changed after trying to install a wifi printer.

Tdeck
Follower

My R6400v2 network name changed after trying to install a wifi printer.

I tried to install my new Et-2850 wireless printer.  It wouldn't connect.  Nighthawk then showed no devices connected and had a different Wifi Network Name (SSID) name from the name on my I-phones. The I-phones matched the network name of the modem but one letter of the network in my Nighthawk name was different.  I changed the name to match the name on my I-phones and modem and changed the connection on my devices by changing the name and re-entering the password.  I rebooted the router and the phones re-appeared for a while but then disappeared.  Over time (several days) other devices have appeared.  I now see some devices but not the phones or the TVs that use the wifi for streaming. The printer that started this does appear on my list of devices but my phone doesn't see it. The router is connected by ethernet cable to my computer so I have never lost my internet connectivity.

What do I have to do to get things back to normal and have all my devices listed as being on my network?    

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: My R6400v2 network name changed after trying to install a wifi printer.

@Tdeck wrote:

The I-phones matched the network name of the modem but one letter of the network in my Nighthawk name was different.  I changed the name to match the name on my I-phones and modem and changed the connection on my devices by changing the name and re-entering the password. 

It sounds like you changed the SSID of the wifi from the R6400v2. Is that what you mean by network name?

You should set the SSID name on the router and get the wifi devices to connect to that. Changing it to match a wifi devices has a knock-on effect for everything else. You will end up chasing all over the place trying to keep your devices up to date with one another.

I tried to install my new Et-2850 wireless printer.  It wouldn't connect. 

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: My R6400v2 network name changed after trying to install a wifi printer.

@Tdeck wrote:

The I-phones matched the network name of the modem but one letter of the network in my Nighthawk name was different.  I changed the name to match the name on my I-phones and modem and changed the connection on my devices by changing the name and re-entering the password. 

It sounds like you changed the SSID of the wifi from the R6400v2. Is that what you mean by network name?

You should set the SSID name on the router and get the wifi devices to connect to that. Changing it to match a wifi devices has a knock-on effect for everything else. You will end up chasing all over the place trying to keep your devices up to date with one another.

I tried to install my new Et-2850 wireless printer.  It wouldn't connect. 

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series