× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router keeps randomly reassigning IP to new AX1800 (EAX14) MESH extender

satscout
Aspirant

Router keeps randomly reassigning IP to new AX1800 (EAX14) MESH extender

Our home internet is via Bellsouth with their (fill in your favorite expletive) router for Uverse service. We can't change the router without losing ISP completely incuding our landline (VoIP) telephone service, so on that front we're stuck. So I got an AX1800 WiFi MESH extender (EAX14 according to the app on my tablet) in hopes of improving connectivity when the BGW210's 5GHz radio keeps dropping - because it drops constantly, and our devices won't automatically switch to the 2.4GHz signal when it does. Doesn't matter how many times they replace the router, the problem remains.

So I got the extender, got it set up (once I figured out what I was doing), and even got the internet to work through it. The extender is taking 2.4 and 5 input and generating 2.4 and 5 output. Then the router started playing games with it. The IP won't stay put. It started out with what I assume is the baseline 192.168.1.250. It has since changed about 20 times tonight. It is currently 192.168.1.195, but I doubt it will stay that. Each time it changes the extender's IP, all devices connected through the extender drop the internet. In order to regain the internet, I have to go back to the Nighthawk app and "reconnect" to the device so it can be recognized again, and then internet access follows a few minutes later.

Is the IP changing whenever the radio(s) on the router drop? (The random radio dropping is not fixable.) Is there a way to force the router to keep the extender's IP the same? (If so, I don't know how to do it and would appreciate advice, please and thank you.) I have limited understanding of how the router assigns IP and MAC addresses and why it keeps changing just for the extender but not for any other device.

For what it's worth, my PC likes the extender's AX better than the router's AC.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Router keeps randomly reassigning IP to new AX1800 (EAX14) MESH extender

@satscout wrote:

The router (gateway?) is a BGW210 from AT&T/Bellsouth. ---It can be put in passthrough mode so it only acts as a modem. Then you can connect your own router to it.  Plenty of guides on google on how to do this. It is the primary/sole access to the internet in the house and the point of connection for the VoIP/landline phone.---Voip will still work in this mode.  Because the radios, in particular the 5GHz radio, kept going out randomly and connected devices are not able to switch seamlessly to the 2.4 radio, I did a bit of digging and found the suggestion that a MESH extender might help.----are you sure its just the wireless having issues? do you have hardwired devices and do they drop? I find it strange that you've had it replaced and both have the same issue. 

How does one go about setting a static IP for the extender? ---You'll have to ask on ATT's site of check google. there's probably a few guides on their forums. We know the netgear side of things. I can't find a setting in the router that allows me to do it.

I have never intentionally set static IPs for other devices, but the router seems to recognize certain IPs as static for those devices anyway - like my PC, my son's PC, tablets, etc. The new extender is the only device that isn't being recognized and held still.----Makes me think it could be the wifi having issues (that I was doubting) and when its reconnecting, its getting assigned a new ip address. 

I am also unclear on the distinction between a "router" and a "gateway". In our case the AT&T BGW210 is a single device that may be serving both purposes.---A router is a router only device. It doesn't have a modem built in. The BGW210 has a modem built in that allows it to connect to att service. 

Thank you for taking the time to try to help me.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What actual gateway is it? 

In extender mode, the extender relies on the router. If the router is sketchy, the extender will be to.

A couple options? 

1. hardwire the extender in and run it in access point mode. 

2. You can connect a router to the gateway. Most have a passthrough or DMZ that passes the signal through to the 2nd router. 

One thing you can also do is go into your gateway and set the extender with a static or reserved IP address so its not assigning new ones. 

Message 2 of 4
satscout
Aspirant

The router (gateway?) is a BGW210 from AT&T/Bellsouth. It is the primary/sole access to the internet in the house and the point of connection for the VoIP/landline phone. Because the radios, in particular the 5GHz radio, kept going out randomly and connected devices are not able to switch seamlessly to the 2.4 radio, I did a bit of digging and found the suggestion that a MESH extender might help.

How does one go about setting a static IP for the extender? I can't find a setting in the router that allows me to do it.

I have never intentionally set static IPs for other devices, but the router seems to recognize certain IPs as static for those devices anyway - like my PC, my son's PC, tablets, etc. The new extender is the only device that isn't being recognized and held still.

I am also unclear on the distinction between a "router" and a "gateway". In our case the AT&T BGW210 is a single device that may be serving both purposes.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@satscout wrote:

The router (gateway?) is a BGW210 from AT&T/Bellsouth. ---It can be put in passthrough mode so it only acts as a modem. Then you can connect your own router to it.  Plenty of guides on google on how to do this. It is the primary/sole access to the internet in the house and the point of connection for the VoIP/landline phone.---Voip will still work in this mode.  Because the radios, in particular the 5GHz radio, kept going out randomly and connected devices are not able to switch seamlessly to the 2.4 radio, I did a bit of digging and found the suggestion that a MESH extender might help.----are you sure its just the wireless having issues? do you have hardwired devices and do they drop? I find it strange that you've had it replaced and both have the same issue. 

How does one go about setting a static IP for the extender? ---You'll have to ask on ATT's site of check google. there's probably a few guides on their forums. We know the netgear side of things. I can't find a setting in the router that allows me to do it.

I have never intentionally set static IPs for other devices, but the router seems to recognize certain IPs as static for those devices anyway - like my PC, my son's PC, tablets, etc. The new extender is the only device that isn't being recognized and held still.----Makes me think it could be the wifi having issues (that I was doubting) and when its reconnecting, its getting assigned a new ip address. 

I am also unclear on the distinction between a "router" and a "gateway". In our case the AT&T BGW210 is a single device that may be serving both purposes.---A router is a router only device. It doesn't have a modem built in. The BGW210 has a modem built in that allows it to connect to att service. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7