× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Recommended way for Stacking M4300-24X24F

BBian
Aspirant

Recommended way for Stacking M4300-24X24F

Hi,

I intend to recommend and use 6x M300-24X24F and these 6 units will be stacked together. I have a few questions in setting this up:

1)  The devices will be on 172.12.x.x. subnet and the multicast IP addresses will be 239.0.x.x. Should i create a separate VLAN for the devices or it is ok to use the factory default VLAN 1 and change each of the switch VLAN management IP address to say 172.12.1.1 - 172.12.1.6

2)  After the switches are stacked, for backup, do i have to go to each of the individual switch to do a backup of the configuration for that particular switch? In other words i should have 6 of the config files?

3)  Assuming if one of the switch breaks down and there is a hardware replacement, i only need to restore that particular switch configuration to the new hardware replacement and then put it back to the stack? Is there a need for the stack to be reloaded?

Thanks.

Model: XSM4348S|M4300-24X24F - Stackable Managed Switch with 48x10G including 24x10GBASE-T and 24xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Recommended way for Stacking M4300-24X24F

@BBian,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

1)  The devices will be on 172.12.x.x. subnet and the multicast IP addresses will be 239.0.x.x. Should i create a separate VLAN for the devices or it is ok to use the factory default VLAN 1 and change each of the switch VLAN management IP address to say 172.12.1.1 - 172.12.1.6

For me it would be best to create a separate VLAN for your main network, another VLAN for guest access and another VLAN for Management. 

2)  After the switches are stacked, for backup, do i have to go to each of the individual switch to do a backup of the configuration for that particular switch? In other words i should have 6 of the config files?  Is there a need for the stack to be reloaded?

If all 6x M300-24X24F are stacked, it means that it will function as 1 switch.  About backing up the configuration, I suggest you to read the articles below:

M4300 Managed Switch Series - Stacking Information

What is a stack master and how does it work with my managed switch?

What are stack member numbers and how do they work with my managed switch?

How to Stack NETGEAR M4300 Switches?

3)  Assuming if one of the switch breaks down and there is a hardware replacement, i only need to restore that particular switch configuration to the new hardware replacement and then put it back to the stack?

Yes.  To learn more, kindly read the articles below:

How do I replace a stack member on my managed switch?

How do I remove a switch from a stack on my managed switch?

How do I add switches to an operating stack on my managed switch?

How do I renumber stack members using CLI commands on my managed switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
BBian
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA!

Had a few more questions about the stacking:

1) So I read that all the stack switches will keep a copy of the configuration. And when doing a replacement of a faculty unit it will just get it from one of these copies. Am i right? I can also backup a copy, and do the restore before inserting it back to the stack?

2)  Is there any advantages to assigning a Master & Backup Master Management unit and the replacement method when it fails will still require a reboot of the stacking members in order so that the master unit will take it place in the stack?

3) Is there any advantages in numbering stacking members or should it just let it run it's course?

Thanks so much.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BBian,

I apologized for the late response. 😞 

1) So I read that all the stack switches will keep a copy of the configuration. And when doing a replacement of a faculty unit it will just get it from one of these copies. Am i right? I can also backup a copy, and do the restore before inserting it back to the stack?

Yes, you can backup a copy and restore the settings to the replacement switch that you will insert to the stack.  It is indicated on step 2 of the article below, it says "Preconfigure the new switches, if desired."

How do I add switches to an operating stack on my managed switch?

2)  Is there any advantages to assigning a Master & Backup Master Management unit and the replacement method when it fails will still require a reboot of the stacking members in order so that the master unit will take it place in the stack?

The advantage of assigning a Master and Backup Master Management Unit is the ease of management.  In the event the Master Switch fails, the Backup Master Switch can quickly take over the failed master switch function.  There are situations wherein a reboot is needed when you replace the stack master or replace/ add a stack member for the stack port to take effect.

3) Is there any advantages in numbering stacking members or should it just let it run it's course?

The advantage of it for ease of management and you may also opt to run its course.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR