× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 Router has no Internet after an outage last night

ptartist
Aspirant

R6400v2 Router has no Internet after an outage last night

We lost internet briefly last night, possibly due to a cable modem update (TBD).  Our R6260  Netgear router on this modem reconnected fine, BUT our R6400v2 which serves our primary LAN cannot connect to the internet.

So far we cannot determine anything useful.

The R6400v2 has the latest firmware release, but we do not know when this auto update was installed. Maybe last night?

Is a factory reset and along with the previous firmware version our best bet for working internet?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ptartist
Aspirant

Our "main" router has the "inside" IP  192.168.1.1.  It is plugged into the cable modem. It serves a LAN with the address 192.168.1 with DHCP and a static IP table.

The second router is an in an adjacent building, and is plugged into one of the "main" router's LAN ports via a buried cable. It has a static IP of 192.168.1.3, so is part of that LAN, and can be access from devices connected to this wifi.

This 2nd router has an "inside" IP of 10.0.0.1, and serves a wifi of 10.0.0 with DHCP and a small IP reservation table.

We have one desktop PC plugged into one of the second router's LAN port with the static IP 10.0.0.3. From here I can log into and manage either router, which is handy.

We want the wifi's to be separate, for our two smart hubs and Google Nest, etc. It is more convenient for us this way.

Clearly this is no security within/across the two LANs, but we have never had anyone but family on our wifi networks as far as we know...! We just want the smart hubs and Google to treat each building as a separate smart home, and to have decent performance.

And I do not see how an AP would benefit us particularly, but perhaps I don't fully understand APs.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies

@ptartist wrote:

We lost internet briefly last night, possibly due to a cable modem update (TBD).  Our R6260  Netgear router on this modem reconnected fine, BUT our R6400v2 which serves our primary LAN cannot connect to the internet.

Have you started the network in the correct order?

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Are you saying that you have two routers behind an anonymous modem? If so, that is a recipe for chaos.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local problems with address on your network. Among other things, the other router can misdirect traffic to addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual default IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point (AP) with a wired connection to the main router. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

The R6400v2 has the latest firmware release, but we do not know when this auto update was installed. Maybe last night?

Not, sadly a reliable guide. If you used the Nighthawk app or a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI) they can miss updates, especially when you are a long way behind the latest.

The best way to check is to look at the GUI or the Router Information page in the Nighthawk App and check the firmware version reported there. Then visit the support pages for your device and to look at the library of available updates. There may be a newer version there.

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and look for firmware for your device.

The release notes should also tell you how to manually update the firmware.

Or read this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 11
ptartist
Aspirant

Our two router two buildings two LANs setup has been copasetic for many years. No conflicts.

There was a brief outage overnight, and I suspect the cable company (WAVE/Astound) changed/updated the modem settings. Customer reps say they don't have access to that info.

After a few tries, then a serious 30/30/30 factory reset I was able to login in as admin and setup the R6400v2.

Sadly it seems NOW the cable modem will only provide internet to one router at a time.

I have changed plugs for testing, and each router works fine alone, but when both are plugged in, only my Netgear R6260 gets the Internet, which network plug used.

And as previously stated, this configuration has been absolutely fine for many years, multiple updates, etc.

So probably not a Netgear problem, but a cable company issue...

I did have considerable trouble resetting the R6400v2:  I lost our  admin password, but the default password did not work until I tried the 30/30/30 trick BUT it may have all been a flaw in the nighthawk app that if you tried a bad password first you were doomed for that session ...

Message 3 of 11

@ptartist wrote:

Our two router two buildings two LANs setup has been copasetic for many years. No conflicts.

When you set up a network, a router will look for other devices on the network and adapt its settings accordingly. If one router sees another router on the network with Netgear's preferred default address (192.168.1.1) the new one will pick something that doesn't clash (usually 10.0.0.1). The devices can then coexist. If something odd happens, like a power outage or a modem update, that can break that cosy relationship.

By the way, cable modems rarely get updates. Your ISP certainly should be able to tell you if that happened.

I have changed plugs for testing, and each router works fine alone, but when both are plugged in, only my Netgear R6260 gets the Internet, which network plug used.

The last bit of that sentence is a bit of a puzzle. Does "which network plug used" mean "no matter which network plug used"?

Sadly it seems NOW the cable modem will only provide internet to one router at a time.

No matter, that behaviour smells like a double-NAT issue. It is hard to tell without any details about your cable modem. Maybe it is also a router. Many are.

We still don't know what firmware is on your routers, although it probably doesn't make much difference.

By the way, your suggested that there was an autoupdate to your R6400v2. This is a pretty basic, and somewhat aged, router that may predate the autoupdate feature, unless it was added in a firmware update.

Now that you are in something of a pickle – messing around with 30/30/30 is a bad idea unless you have broken firmware – you might like to set up your network in a way that does not leave you open to these problems in future.

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There are other options, but without more information about your network, it is hard to tell.

Message 4 of 11
ptartist
Aspirant

Thank you I will look at the double nat issue link.

Our cable modem is a Netgear CM1100 and yes we have one router using 192.168.0.1 & the other using 10.0.0.1. This does not change when we are able to connect either network one at a time.

We have tried configuring a new Linksys router instead of the Netgear R6400v2 but same behavior, as rather expected. It also got the 192.168.0.1 IP, but no internet with both routers.

Thanks for suggestions, we continue to struggle.

Message 5 of 11

@ptartist wrote:

Our cable modem is a Netgear CM1100 and yes we have one router using 192.168.0.1 & the other using 10.0.0.1. 

The usual solution is to put the second router into AP mode, wired to your main router.

Message 6 of 11
ptartist
Aspirant

We now have the router for our smaller LAN reconfigured & plugged into the main router that is plugged into the modem. The main router provides a LAN that gets more streaming & smart house traffic.

So far this seems to be fine. We don't care about security between the LANs, just separation for two smart homes we don't want to combine. 

I have seen advice to use three routers to best support two LANs, but that doesn't really seem necessary.

No idea if that would result in better performance?

Advice welcome, but at least we have both LANs up and running now! Thank you for the help.

Message 7 of 11

@ptartist wrote:

We now have the router for our smaller LAN reconfigured & plugged into the main router that is plugged into the modem. The main router provides a LAN that gets more streaming & smart house traffic.

This works best if the second router is in access point mode. Is that how you have it?

We don't care about security between the LANs, just separation for two smart homes we don't want to combine. 

Separation in what way? Separate wifi networks? Separate networks fore summary devices? Separate networks for wired devices

Any network that has a single router is likely to have some "crossover" between networks. In reality, with one router you have one network with varying degrees of separation between the two routers.

The extent of that network-to-network communication depends on how the two router are configured and what you want to achieve in the way if separation.

Another option with two routers and a single Internet connection is to arrange to have a "DMZ zone" to keep them apart. Which brings us back to what you want to achieve.

I have seen advice to use three routers to best support two LANs, but that doesn't really seem necessary.

No idea if that would result in better performance?

Only you knew where you read that and what it was supposed to achieve. It sounds strange.

Message 8 of 11
ptartist
Aspirant

Our "main" router has the "inside" IP  192.168.1.1.  It is plugged into the cable modem. It serves a LAN with the address 192.168.1 with DHCP and a static IP table.

The second router is an in an adjacent building, and is plugged into one of the "main" router's LAN ports via a buried cable. It has a static IP of 192.168.1.3, so is part of that LAN, and can be access from devices connected to this wifi.

This 2nd router has an "inside" IP of 10.0.0.1, and serves a wifi of 10.0.0 with DHCP and a small IP reservation table.

We have one desktop PC plugged into one of the second router's LAN port with the static IP 10.0.0.3. From here I can log into and manage either router, which is handy.

We want the wifi's to be separate, for our two smart hubs and Google Nest, etc. It is more convenient for us this way.

Clearly this is no security within/across the two LANs, but we have never had anyone but family on our wifi networks as far as we know...! We just want the smart hubs and Google to treat each building as a separate smart home, and to have decent performance.

And I do not see how an AP would benefit us particularly, but perhaps I don't fully understand APs.

Message 9 of 11

Is everything on the network as you'd like?

@ptartist wrote:

These might help:

What is the difference between router mode and AP mode? - NETGEAR Support

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 10 of 11
ptartist
Aspirant

I think we are fine now. 

Our goal is to have two LANs which avoids confusion/collusion for smart home devices, hubs, etc.  And we have no need to extend a single LAN, as an AP setup might be used to do.

Yes, I think we have success with our current arrangement, as long as my husband resists the urge to tweak it further... he managed to temporarily destroy it tinkering last night, but that is fixed now!!!

So we can close this discussion any time...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7