× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rax41 router

LightingMcQuee7
Aspirant

Rax41 router

I have a question I bought the router brand new and didn't know you had to pay over 300.00 dollars for some kind of lifetime plan is what the guy on the phone said and he sounded from overseas with an American name but they did something to my service to the point I couldn't even get online well I he said no worries you had some unwanted traffic but no worries just pat the money and you will be back up and running but I just disconnected everything and put away the nighthawk router and hooked back my starlink factory router and my service is still bad so my question is could they have done something to make my factory router not run to it's full potential.......TIA
Message 1 of 17
Kitsap
Master

@LightingMcQuee7 wrote:
I have a question I bought the router brand new and didn't know you had to pay over 300.00 dollars for some kind of lifetime plan is what the guy on the phone said and he sounded from overseas with an American name but they did something to my service to the point I couldn't even get online well I he said no worries you had some unwanted traffic but no worries just pat the money and you will be back up and running but I just disconnected everything and put away the nighthawk router and hooked back my starlink factory router and my service is still bad so my question is could they have done something to make my factory router not run to it's full potential.......TIA

It was a scam!  If you placed the call, you used a phone number found with a web search.  I hope a lesson learned on your part.

As long as you did not let the scammers connect to your router or computer, you are fine.

First step is to perform a full firmware default (factory) reset on the router and go through the initial setup from scratch.

You can download the manuals from the Support section at the top of this page.  Any questions you have, you can post here on the forum at no cost.

Message 2 of 17
LightingMcQuee7
Aspirant

I did get it under customer support for netgear.i didn't give him any credit card numbers or no payment was made I told him I had to talk to the wife before I do so I'll call back.The code was only thing he sent to my email,Could they have sent a virus to my network cause whatever they did at first made the netgear router not usable at all and my phone couldn't find the router and the speeds went way down from 200 Mbps or higher to 100 and slowly down to 80 Mbps or lower.I new to this so sorry for asking you a lot of questions
Message 3 of 17
Kitsap
Master

@LightingMcQuee7 wrote:
I did get it under customer support for netgear.i didn't give him any credit card numbers or no payment was made I told him I had to talk to the wife before I do so I'll call back.The code was only thing he sent to my email,Could they have sent a virus to my network cause whatever they did at first made the netgear router not usable at all and my phone couldn't find the router and the speeds went way down from 200 Mbps or higher to 100 and slowly down to 80 Mbps or lower.I new to this so sorry for asking you a lot of questions

Very doubtful.  I recommended the default reset to be sure.

Message 4 of 17

@LightingMcQuee7 wrote:
I have a question I bought the router brand new and didn't know you had to pay over 300.00 dollars for some kind of lifetime plan

Bilge.

Did you check this?

How do I identify an official NETGEAR website or social media account? - NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 17
LightingMcQuee7
Aspirant

I just searched netgear support and called the number.What had happened they did something to where I couldn't log in the netgear app I downloaded off the Google play store and it kept saying wrong password so I called and he said I have some unwanted traffic but no worries I have 3 options and the 3rd one was a lifetime deal for 300 dollars and he sent some code to my email I read it back to him and he asked what I wanted to pay I just told him I'd call back he said OK they close in a Lil bit I never called back I haven't used router since but my internet hasn't been the same ever since all this has happened.
Message 6 of 17

@LightingMcQuee7 wrote:
I just searched netgear support and called the number.

That was a Google search? Google is happy to sell ad space to any crook that pays up.

This can show a number that has nothing to do with Netgear. Talk of paying for an additional security service is a giveaway.

Netgear warns about these scams.

How do I identify an official NETGEAR website or social media account? - NETGEAR Support

If you have problems getting something to work, and you are within the 90 days for free support, then contact Netgear through the official channels:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

First you have to register your device to confirm that it is eligible for the 90-days free support.

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

After 90 days, there is also a paid-for channel

NETGEAR ProSupport for Home | NETGEAR

The $300 number is a giveaway. Premium support costs just $99.99 a year at most.

Or you can try to sort out problems here. It costs nothing.

Many problems are pretty straightforward. A search in this community may throw up something helpful.

Message 7 of 17
LightingMcQuee7
Aspirant

It was past the 90 days and it was a registered product and I didn't pay nothing after the 90 days so that maybe why they stopped it from working
Message 8 of 17

@LightingMcQuee7 wrote:
It was past the 90 days and it was a registered product and I didn't pay nothing after the 90 days so that maybe why they stopped it from working

You don't have to pay anything to keep you router working. Unless you gave someone access to your router, they can't stop it from working.

Start from the beginning and use this place to get help.

We still don't know what is going wrong with your router.

Have you done as @Kitsap suggested?

Then the usual boilerplate questions to eliminate some of the more common issues that crop up here.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware with an app or in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that connects this router to the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@LightingMcQuee7 

Message 10 of 17
LightingMcQuee7
Aspirant

Not sure about firmware cause they stopped it from updating and it's the netgear nighthawk ax5 ax3600 model#RAX41 and the ISP is starlink using the gen 2 router with the ethernet adapter cat 6 cable.I remember now he said they stopped it from updating and I needed to by the subscription for 300 a lifetime plan.
Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...
Try option #2 first...

Ya, no, you can download FW for any NG router from here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

And manually update it.

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

They don't block updates, only if they don't want to auto update something. Thanks only on there auto update system. 

Message 12 of 17
LightingMcQuee7
Aspirant

I had starlink router in bypass mode and had netgear plugged in the ethernet adapter
Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

Message 14 of 17

@LightingMcQuee7 wrote:
Not sure about firmware cause they stopped it from updating and it's the netgear nighthawk ax5 ax3600 model#RAX41 and the ISP is starlink using the gen 2 router with the ethernet adapter cat 6 cable.I remember now he said they stopped it from updating and I needed to by the subscription for 300 a lifetime plan.

Another victim of "Google search" scam

Tech Support a Scam - NETGEAR Communities

Updates cost nothing.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 15 of 17

@LightingMcQuee7 wrote:
I had starlink router in bypass mode and had netgear plugged in the ethernet adapter

There has been a lot of discussion about Starlink and Netgear routers.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – starlink

You might find something useful there is you ever have problems.

Message 16 of 17
moby_duck
Initiate

I bought the router brand new and didn't know you had to pay over 300.00 dollars for some kind of lifetime plan is what the guy on the phone said

I did get it under customer support for netgear.

this is a very lengthy conversation, but the most fundamental and important info is missing.

for this benefit of any other viewers

please provide the website url and telephone number of those scoundrels who tried to swindle $300 from you.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7