Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[RBE971] Please Allow Custom FQDN for Web Admin UI

Nagorg
Follower

[RBE971] Please Allow Custom FQDN for Web Admin UI

I've discovered a problem that's keeping me from accessing the admin webpage using a record I create in my internal DNS.

Example:

Desired FQDN = orbi.exampleinternalzone.com

When I try this, the device responds with an HTTP 500 error. Reviewing this forum, I found that one of the domain names that I can use to access the Orbi is "orbilogin.com".  As a workaround I've created a DNS override that directs requests for this domain name to the LAN IP of my router.  This workaround is needed so that I don't have to use the IP address when accessing the admin webpage.

This used to not be a problem with Orbi.  I know this because I just upgraded to the 970 from an RBR50 that I've been using for years, and I used this "Custom FQDN" approach successfully with it just as I do with all of my other devices.  But this isn't working with my new, very expensive 970.

I did try to give Netgear the benefit of the doubt by assuming this must have something to do with a pre-installed SSL certificate in the interest of security.  In that scenario, Netgear would be taking proactive actions to promote encrypted communications and not expose login credentials "over the wire".  But after checking the SSL cert that is being used, I found it to issued to the name "routerlogin.net" with no additional SAN's AND it's not even issued from a trusted CA; it's self-signed!  So scratch the benefit of the doubt I was trying to give..

We need to be able to use custom FQDN's for managing our devices.  And while I get that managing a trusted SSL cert for the masses is a problematic proposition, we should at least have the "Advanced" ability to replace the self-signed certificate with our own certs.

Even in light of not being able to change the certificate, I could deal with the browser warnings since I obviously have to do that anyway out of the box.  But it makes zero sense why I can't use my own FQDN for accessing the device.

This is very annoying.  Please fix this!

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: [RBE971] Please Allow Custom FQDN for Web Admin UI

Something to post here about and request to NG:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Good luck. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7