× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6050 Blocking websites seemingly randomly

Domingos
Aspirant

R6050 Blocking websites seemingly randomly

I've just Facory Reset my NetGear R6050 & Changed ISP Router, at the same time, and since then I've been constantly blocked from "normal" websites quite randomly - ie.: NetGear, Reddit, Globo (major BR Portal), Gupy (Major BR RH services) are blocked; but most common sites like Google, Youtube, LinkedIn work normally .

First I though this would be a Firmware problem, so I updated it after a little gymnastics since I wasn't able to reach NetGear websie - the problem got better at first, now it's bad again.

Then I though this would be a DNS problem, so I tried 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 but still, problem remains.

I even tried using PING to the websites that won't load, it actually works.

This happens regardless of browser (Chrome, Edge, Brave) or device (2 Notebooks, 2 iPhone), and is quite consistent - same problem with same sites.

Any hypothesis?

It feels like there's some kind of configuration in the Router that keeps a backdoor open, but I'm unable to find it (probably due to lack of experience).

Also I had a problem with this product in which no matter what link I typed, it would redirect me to a Russian webpage... back then it was just a firmware fix. Don't know exactly what was 😕

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

@Domingos wrote:

It's basically to enhance signal reach, as the ISP Router doesn't get to our bedrooms.

I was kind of trying On-Off other settings, unclicked the Router as DHCP Server option... that may be bad? 

That R6050 a pretty basic router from 10 years ago.

Your best bet might be to put the R6050 into access point mode and to let the main modem/router do the heavy lifting.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the R series router in AP mode while you have a ISP modem/router? 

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 2 of 9

@Domingos wrote:

I've just Facory Reset my NetGear R6050 & Changed ISP Router, at the same time

What is that ISP router and how is it configured?

Is it also the device that connects you to the Internet?

How is the R6050 connected to the ISP router?

What firmware did you manage to install? And how? Only a manual install is likely to deliver the most recent.

Message 3 of 9
Domingos
Aspirant

I did a manual installation of most recent firmware (NetGear JR6150_R6050-V1.0.1.26_1.0.1), downloaded from NetGear's website.

My ISP is VIVO, their modem is using stock configuration.

The setup here is: (Devices) -> Router -> ISP Device -> Internet

Message 4 of 9

@Domingos wrote:

My ISP is VIVO, their modem is using stock configuration.

And that modem is?

I did a manual installation of most recent firmware (NetGear JR6150_R6050-V1.0.1.26_1.0.1), downloaded from NetGear's website.

Two different routers, but they may have the same firmware.

Message 5 of 9
Domingos
Aspirant

ISP Modem is Microstar GPT-2741GNAC-N1

I think the firmware is the same: NetGear "JR6150_R6050-V1.0.1.26_1.0.1", i got it from NG' website

Message 6 of 9

@Domingos wrote:

ISP Modem is Microstar GPT-2741GNAC-N1

Google isn't much help there.

It does find the Mitrastar GPT-2741GNAC. If that is what you have then, this is a modem/router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local problems with address on your network. Among other things, the other router can misdirect traffic to addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual default IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point (AP) with a wired connection to the main router.

But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

Message 7 of 9
Domingos
Aspirant

It does find the Mitrastar GPT-2741GNAC. If that is what you have then, this is a modem/router.

That's the one 😬!

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point (AP) with a wired connection to the main router.

It's basically to enhance signal reach, as the ISP Router doesn't get to our bedrooms.

I was kind of trying On-Off other settings, unclicked the Router as DHCP Server option... that may be bad? 

Message 8 of 9

@Domingos wrote:

That R6050 a pretty basic router from 10 years ago.

Your best bet might be to put the R6050 into access point mode and to let the main modem/router do the heavy lifting.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series