× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX1600

AX1600

Don't buy 2. They will not work together.

Despite spending hours trying to get a solution, being told there is a solution....there isn't.

All it will do is completely destroy your wifi when you have both plugged in. One works fine. 2 is a train wreck.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you have 2x mesh extends, yuo can potentially get them working. 

What you need to do though is disable mesh for one of them and give it its own ssid. Or they can end up connected to each other. 

Message 2 of 6

Thanks and appreciate the response.

Thing is, and having spent 12+ hours with Netgear support on this, they can't tell me how to do this EVEN IF THEY KNOW.

The level of support and pervading ignorance of the support team is staggering.

When I raised a couple of issues they offered yo initiate 'Level 2' support, which says everything about the standard level.

No-one has ever suggested the solution you mentioned.

So I'll wear the $80 and get on with my life.

(Level 2 support would take too long for this to be economically viable)

Thanks again

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

L1 isn't much better than a standard big box store person. 

One other thing to make sure if you're using them is they should be in a star configuration. 

Star: extender<---------router--------->extender.

Not daisy chained

Daisy: Router-------->extender--------->extender

what issue were you having or running into? 

Message 4 of 6

One connects.

Trey to connect the other and it:

- drops connection to the 1st.

- Kills the wifi, even though it only seems to pick up 1.

I'm done. This post was mainly as an FYI/warning to others. 

One works fine, 2 is a car crash.

I'm staying with one as that seems to boost coverage somewhat and I'll live with it.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Ok. Thanks for the fyi. 

Last bit of advice, if you are trying to daisy chain (it'll reduce speeds significantly), 

you'll want to go router---->extender (with unique ssid)---->then the extender setup with either router/or other extender ssid. 

the mesh extenders don't have something controlling them so they can end up in a loop connecting to each other. Which is why one needs a unique ssid. If you're needing more coverage than the 1 extenders provides, look into mesh systems with a router controlling them such as Orbi or the MK nighthawk series. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7