Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple Netgear Nighthawk App only seeing access point

ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

Apple Netgear Nighthawk App only seeing access point

I have a R8000P as my main router with an X4 R7500 in AP mode. When I try to use the nighthawk app it only sees the access point. I have separate SSIDs for the AP so I know I am connected to the main router. I do however have an alternate dhcp server hardwired to the AP. I am wondering if this is effecting the apps ability to see the main router. Any advice would be great.
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

Re: Apple Netgear Nighthawk App only seeing access point

It is a bit more complex than most home networks. I have a Ras PI set up as an Ad blocker for my home network. That is the device that is acting as my home networks DHCP and DNS server. My main router points DNS at the PI and has DHCP disabled so it does not interfere with the PI. Everything works fine but the app was being weird. However, we had a power outage for a couple hours last night and the app is working properly again so not sure what was going on or why it could not see the main router. But it is all good now. I do appreciate the insight you provided. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the app see the R8000P if you turn OFF the R7500 in AP mode? 

Message 2 of 16
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

If I turn off the router in AP mode I loose connection to my DHCP and DNS server (both hosted on the same computer) which is hardwired to the AP which is hardwired to the main router. When I do that my phone does not see the main router
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Even if your near the R8000P router? 

Message 4 of 16
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

Yes even if close. If I simply reboot the AP from its web interface, I briefly can see the R8000P in the app until the AP fully comes back online. If I remove power completely from the AP I cannot see the R8000P at all even though I am still connected to the R8000P wifi. I believe this is because the phone uses the computer connected to the AP for DNS and DHCP so with no power to the AP traffic is not being forwarded to the DHCP server back to the R8000P.

What I am really curious about is how the app looks for the router on the network. Does it search by IP? Or something else?
Message 5 of 16

@ZW-routerQs wrote:

What I am really curious about is how the app looks for the router on the network. Does it search by IP? Or something else?

If this is the Nighthawk App, it depends on how you connect to the network, local wifi or Anywhere Access.

You said at the start:

When I try to use the nighthawk app it only sees the access point.

Have you looked at the "Your products" bit?

Your products.jpg

It may show both. But that may depend on setting up Anywhere Access.

Message 6 of 16
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

I am trying to connect locally. And cannot enable anywhere access without first connecting locally. As you can see in the pictures attached, it looks like the device is there but it is actual the R7500 and it is failing to connect regardless (probably bc the R7500 does not support the app anyway)

Message 7 of 16
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

Message 8 of 16
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

Message 9 of 16
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

Message 10 of 16

@ZW-routerQs wrote:
I am trying to connect locally. And cannot enable anywhere access without first connecting locally. As you can see in the pictures attached, it looks like the device is there but it is actual the R7500 and it is failing to connect regardless (probably bc the R7500 does not support the app anyway)

You are right in saying that the R7500 doesn't support the app

I'd go back to your earlier comment.

If I remove power completely from the AP I cannot see the R8000P at all even though I am still connected to the R8000P wifi. I believe this is because the phone uses the computer connected to the AP for DNS and DHCP

There is something odd there. That should not happen. There is no way that your router's operation should depend on having the AP active. The network should do its stuff without the AP being anywhere in sight.

AP mode should not get in the way of anything. Most of its functions are disabled:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have changed it, the router handles DNS.

I would troubleshoot that side of the problem before worrying about the Nighthawk App. Fix that and the app should play ball.

But I am getting confused about what is going on here:

You also said:

I do however have an alternate dhcp server hardwired to the AP.

These are not the same thing as the AP?

If so, then you have messy network. It is not surprising if things get led astray.

Message 11 of 16
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

It is a bit more complex than most home networks. I have a Ras PI set up as an Ad blocker for my home network. That is the device that is acting as my home networks DHCP and DNS server. My main router points DNS at the PI and has DHCP disabled so it does not interfere with the PI. Everything works fine but the app was being weird. However, we had a power outage for a couple hours last night and the app is working properly again so not sure what was going on or why it could not see the main router. But it is all good now. I do appreciate the insight you provided. 

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 16

@ZW-routerQs wrote:

However, we had a power outage for a couple hours last night and the app is working properly again so not sure what was going on or why it could not see the main router.

Well that's a turn up for the books. Referwences to  "we had a power outage" usually mean that someone ghas a new problem. It isnlt often tjat people arrive here sayting that fixed a problem.

One possibility worth remembering if this happens again is that networks are very sensitive to which bit starts first.

The usual advice is to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Maybe that would have fixed your problem without waiting for divine intervention in the shape if the power demons.

Message 14 of 16
ZW-routerQs
Aspirant

Lol yeah I suppose a full "turn it off and on again" approach would have been a good start. Just didnt think to do that for my whole network. 

Message 15 of 16

@ZW-routerQs wrote:

Lol yeah I suppose a full "turn it off and on again" approach would have been a good start. Just didnt think to do that for my whole network. 

It is a common mistake. People turn off bits and pieces willy nilly. That doesn't work for network stuff where one bit on the chain picks up its settings from the "upstream" component.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series