Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

monthly cost of ATT service for ARLO Go

Discussion stats
PaolinoIt
Follower
Follower

hello, i am looking to purchase an arlo camera. I prefer the idea of the Arlo Go, being indipendentfrom WIFI.

from the preorder, it is clear the cost of the camera but it is not the cost for the 3G/4G service.

Is it included in the cost of the camera?

Paolo

52 REPLIES 52
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

You can find them at Best Buy, Fry's and looks like they will be availble June 2nd on Amazon

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I bought one at Bet Buy.  I bought one at Best Buy. It will only work on the Arlo/Netgear plan. I spent many hours with AT&T and Netgear trying to get it active. Finally Netgear advised that the VML4340-200NAS only works with the Arlo Plan. You would think that this would be well documented somewhere. They told me that in order to activate it on AT&T I would need to get the VML4340-100NAS model.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

The one that is going to be sold on Amazon is also the VML4030-200NAs which will only work with the Arlo/Netgear plan, at least according to Netgear. The Verizon one is model VML4030VWQ. This is going to cause alot of people frustration if they think they can activate these anywhere.

Cdlaw
Aspirant
Aspirant
It came with a sim card and At&t was able to activate in the store. As mentioned many times on this issue, if you have an existing At&t plan the device can be added to your existing plan and share the data. I cannot verify what At&t charges for the service as a add on because I had to create a new account with them..and It does not use much data, of course it will depend on how much recording and live views are done. If I understand correctly you cannot switch sim cards to change providers for the camera. It must operate with the provider it list. I haven't heard of the one that operates with a Netgear plan.
lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can you please verify that your camera is Model Number VML4030-100NAS? If what Netgear told me is accurate it shouldl be.

Cdlaw
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes that is correct. It only operates with At&t. Yes it will absolutely cause mass confusion lol when purchasing my cameras At&t was completely oblivious to this camera from upper management and down. It was a extremely frustrating process for me. You would think that At&t would be aware of devices that only operates on their Network. Hopefully Verizon is on top of their game. I believe they are since it is available on their website along with the skins that's a big plus!!
drhurtado
Aspirant
Aspirant

unable to activate after 3 hours @ store. They tried the sim in the box but unable to register it. A new sim was not recognized, After 5 hours betwen att and arlo support unable to make it function

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

What model of camera do you have? There are three models. It sounds like you have the VMC4030-200NAS which only works with the Arlo Plan. The other two models are the VMC4030-100NAS that works with AT&T SIM and the VMC4030-VHQ which works with a Verizon SIM. If you bought it at Best Buy or Amazon it is likely the VMC4030-200NAS. The Model number is on the bottom of the box where the serial number etc. is located.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry, in my earlier post I gave you one incorrect letter in the model number.

They are:

VML4030-100NAS - AT&T

VML4030-200NAS - Arlo Mobile

VML4030-VHQ - Verizon

The one you will want is the VML4030-100NAS.

The VMC is the Arlo Pro camera which as far as I know only has the 100 model.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

In my earlier post I gave you one letter off in the model number. The Arlo GO is the VML model not the VMC. So they are:

VML4030-100NAS - AT&T version

VML4030-200NAS - Arlo Mobile version

VML4030-VHQ - Verizon version.

Sorry for the confusion.

archon810
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why would anyone buy the Arlo Mobile version? The pricing and limitations are insane https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-go/arlo-mobile.aspx.

If you can pay $5 on Verizon or $10 on AT&T and use up all your plan's full allotment, who in their right mind would go for the limitations and price gouging imposed by Arlo Mobile?

15 Minutes per Month
$3.99

per month billed annually

$4.99 per month

• 1 x 30-second video clip a day OR
  • 30 x 30-second video clips a month

120 Minutes per Month
$18.39

$22.99 per month

• 8 x 30-second video clips a day OR
  • 240 x 30-second video clips a month

225 Minutes per Month
$26.39

$32.99 per month

• 15 x 30-second video clips a day OR
  • 450 x 30-second video clips a month
lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

You wouldn't unless maybe you had T Mobile or Sprint. Getting an AT&T or Verizon account just for the camera in that case would run you about $60 a month or up. You can buy the Verizon one right at the store. However the AT&T one you have to order on line somewheer such as Neweg, Neobits etc. They are not currently selling them at the AT&T store ot Web site. It isn't well documented when folks purchase these at Amazon or Best Buy what they are compatible with.

AKsecurity
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Go, after purchasing another Arlo Go I was not able to connect to the AT&T service. several days working with netgear tech suport I discovered that there are actually 3 different "Arlo Go" camera's. (simular to cell phones) Only a specific model # "Arlo Go" will actually connect to AT&T. The last "Arlo Go" I purchased from Best Buy will only hook up to "Netgear" sim service. (it will NOT hook up to AT&T service) I've been now hunting for specific AT&T compatable "Arlo Go" camera's and most companies do not realize (like I didnt) that if you want an AT&T service plan than you have to get ONLY the unit that will hook up to their service. Also if you purchase an Arlo Go that is compatable with Verison it will only work with Verison service plan. I originaly was told that the "Arlo Go" will hook up to either of the "3" cariers AT&T, Verison, or Netgear. This is true but you will need the specific camera that was designed (like cell phones) to connet to the service of your choise. It also seems likely that Netgear will promote their service over the others. Tabb

glengerson
Aspirant
Aspirant
I too have called tech support more than 11 times, literally hours attempting to get answers, I could go on and on- the answer? Simple go to a Verizon corporate store, $10.00 a month per camera on my existing account they set it up and had it working in 10 minutes-
lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is confusing. And what is worse the suport people do not know specifics either and you get bounced around alot. If you want the AT&T specific one you need to get the VML4030-100NAS model. You can order them from places like CDW, CompuSource etc.  They did not have them yet in the AT&T stores the last time I cheecked. I was able to just add it to my plan as a connected device similar to a tablet etc.  One additional thing I found out. If you decide you want a Solar panel for one of your cameras, be aware that there is specific firmware for EACH model that needs updated for them to work. They started with the Arlo firmware first and I just saw they have the Verizon formware updated. The AT&T firmware for the Solar Panel is still in testing. In cases where you have a camera that is very difficult to access this looks like it migh be a good option (assuming it works).

one_nurse53
Aspirant
Aspirant

Verizon has a better price $400.00 for the camera and $ 5.00 month for data. If you purchase with 2 year contract the price is about $50.00 cheaper for the camera.I purchased but have not utilized it yet.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

It really depends on which cell plan you currently have. If you already have AT&T or Verizon you can just add it to your existing  data plan for monthly charge with no contract etc. and no hidden additional line cost. If you are going with a new carrier you incur a new monthly charge on top of the monthly data charge and normally have to sign a 2 year contract. If you have AT&T or Verizon either is a better deal than the Arlo plan.

Randy-Dandy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have good and bad news...

Bad news first.  ATT did not inform its staff about the Arlo's (as did Verizon, who advertises the camera and plan).  However, you can still get the Arlo Go and get a SIM card to work with ATT.

Good news...  If you have unlimited data, the cost of the Arlo Go on ATT will probably only be $10/month as an add-on to the account with unlimited data.

Hope this helps

eberwhitewoods
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, glad somebody has already gone through this. Could you please verify if I am understanding this correctly? I am trying to figure out using an ATT plan, or Arlo Plan. I don't feel like Arlo explains this well at all online.

I have an Arlo Go I am going to use to to monitor an owl's nest, so I (hope for/expect) a lot of movement once the chicks hatch.

I have ATT wireless family plan with unlimited data. If I go into an ATT store, are they going to charge me $10 more for the device, then the device will have unlimited data as well? 

I was having a hard time understanding Arlo's service plans. The prices seem to increase with the # of days of cloud recordings. I don't want to store recordings on the cloud. Each morning, we would like to download all the videos that were taken the previous night, then they can be erased. Do ATT or Arlo's plans limit the # of downloads we can make?

Any explaination about their plans and how to download all the video clips would be appreciated.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

First, what model camera do you have. That alone will determine what your options are? Yes, Netgear does not make the cameras interchangeable and they all have different firmware. They are:

VML4030-100NAS - Works on AT&T

VML4030-200NAS - Works on Arlo Data Plan

VML4030-VMQ - Works on Verizon

You would not be able to ever activate an AT&T plan on either of the other two cameras. If you bought it the normal places such as Best Buy or Amazon most likely you have the VML4030-2--NAS which only works on the Arlo plan. If you have an AT&T data plan, or Verizon for that matter and can get the correct camera I would use them. You can add these cameras directly to your mobile share plan. For AT&T it is $10 a month. Not sure about Verizon. If you have to setup a standalone plan with a ceullar carrier for the camera it would not be worth it as they charge you the line charge as well. For the Arlo plans, they charge by how much you upload, regardless of how much you store. It is cheaper and much more practical to have it on your cellular plan and have a consistent understanding of the cost and one less plan to track. Unless your camera us really active, they do not use that much data. Mine averages 2-3 pictures a day and I use about 400MB a month on my shared data plan, which is a blip. I can also see real-time how much it is using if I choose to.

eberwhitewoods
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow - wish I had foun you before I bought! Unfortunately I have the camera that only works with Arlo (got it from amazon.com) plans. Looking at returning to amazon.com and buying an AT&T compatible one. Seems much cheaper to get unlmited data for $10 month from AT&T, rather than Arlo's plans. 

I tried calling AT&T to verify with them that my device would get unlmited data since my family share plan has unlmited, but the rep had never heard of Arlo before. Do you know if the device would get unlimited? I am hoping for a lot of videos once the owlets hatch. 

Thanks!

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

The AT&T Reps do not seem to know much about it as it seems like they targeting more of a business market. However, if you get the VML4030-100NAS model and just call they AT&T hotline or go to a store and tell them you want to activate a cellular camera to your plan, they will be able to activate it as a data-only network device much like an iPad etc. They can either activate the sim that comes with it or one they choose to put in it. As long as it is an AT&T sim it should work.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Long story short, you have Unlimited, its just an additional 10.00 a month to add the Arlo G0 to you plan.   I have had one since day 0.

Bgreenstone
Guide
Guide
I just called AT&T and they told me it was $20 a month plus a $25 activation fee, and I cannot activate or deactivate it at will. If I deactivate it and then need it again a couple months later they will charge me the $25 activation fee again and I will have to get a new Sim card
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

That does seem odd. Mine is $10 a month. However they do charge an activation fee  each time you connect it or disconnect it. Not too portable in that sense. Since I use my all the time I have not run into that. They treat them just like a tablet or any data device on the fees, which is why I am suprised it would be $20. Do you have a Mobil share plan? That is what I have with my other devices and they just added it to that plan.