Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO PRO 2 working well until I plugged in a usb 120GB SSD for local storage

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
sp33dFREAK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi community, I have had this system for approximately two weeks and all was working well up until i plugged in a USB 120GB SSD for local storage. Within an Hour of having the Hdd plugged in 2 of my 3 cameras wont allow me to live view and will not record any videos to the cloud or HDD, but strangely enough they detect motion and send notifications as per normal. All the setting are set to record in armed mode etc. base station is within good range and my internet speeds while not the best are good enough 30mbps down and 2mbps up. The third camera in the system works as per normal. Removing the local storage and power cycling the base station rectifies the issue? other issues i have encountered with the system include the footage deteriorating and become pixelated at the 1 minute mark and i have missed events due to the trigger time between motions as a result i have changed the setting to manually record instead of detecting until motion stops as the camera powers down despite motion directly in its field of view.. Any input is greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's odd behavior. I would disconnect the SSD to see if that helps - maybe the power draw is too much (unless externally powered) or is causing some sort of interference.  A 32GB thumb drive is generally more than adequate and has been shown to work well.

sp33dFREAK
Aspirant
Aspirant
Very strange indeed, i have disconnected it for the moment and its working fine for the moment. Thanks for input much appreciated
paulmellors
Aspirant
Aspirant

Experienced similar behaviour. 

Set up a 3 camera system, 2 cameras indoor and one outdoor. Before going on holiday attached a USB bus powered drive. All seemed to be working. 

Since return noticed that that detection on the outdoor camera is totally unreliable. On verge of sending system back for refund. 

Tried removing usb drive and detection is restored to outdoor camera. I then found this thread. 

Very strange behaviour. 

Paul

sp33dFREAK
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just gave up on local backup to tell you the truth. No point waiting for netgear resolving the issue
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

It works fine here, but it probably depends on using the right USB device.

I doubt if a powered USB drive would work. And large drives may also cause it to gag.

I just stuck in a 4GB micro-SD card in an adapter. An 8GB "Cruzer" also plays nicely.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation