Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro intermittent offliine

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Fy27
Star
Star

I have 3 Arlo Pro system and for the past 3 days, 1 of the camera would go offline at night and would come back online on it's on the next day.  It could be a coincidence, but each occurance is about the same time.  The same camera would go offline around 11pm at night and would come back online the next day around 11am.  Any ideas what's going on?  The battery is at 60% percent and when it's online, it shows all 3 bars on the signal strength.  This started about 3 days ago after 5 months of ownership.

9 REPLIES 9
brh
Master
Master

@Fy27

It sounds like some sort of interference. Maybe from a neighbor? One thing you can try is to remove then reinsert the battery and see if that resets the camera. Another thing you can try if that doesn't work is to try powering off the base station for 30 seconds and then powering it back up.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is there any chance you're using the schedule? Check your modes - use the Armed mode for troubleshooting.

Fy27
Star
Star

@jguerdatwrote:

Is there any chance you're using the schedule? Check your modes - use the Armed mode for troubleshooting.

I'm using Armed mode.  Also, only 1 camera is behaving this way.  I don't believe I can use schedule mode for only 1 camera. 

Fy27
Star
Star

@brhwrote:

@Fy27

It sounds like some sort of interference. Maybe from a neighbor? One thing you can try is to remove then reinsert the battery and see if that resets the camera. Another thing you can try if that doesn't work is to try powering off the base station for 30 seconds and then powering it back up.

Brian

I will try that.  In the meantime, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull out the ladder and climb up to the camera, as this is coming back online on it's own everyday.  Just curious what could cause it to go offline at night and connect again the next day.

brh
Master
Master

@Fy27 

Do you have a neighbor that is coming home at that time and going to work when the camera starts working again?

One way to trouble shoot this is to swap camera locations with another camera that is working fine. Another thing you could do is to see if the signal strength drops at the time of disconnection. Here is some info I found:

http://www.businessinsider.com/neighbor-wifi-interference-change-channel-2017-3

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

You do not need to do anything about these now, because we haven't determined that it is an interference problem. Just some interesting reading.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, power cycle the base and reinsert the battery in the camera to reset it.

Fy27
Star
Star

I tried the power cycle a few times, as well as the restart function in the app multiple times.  I am not aware of a neighbor coming or going at those hours, as those are not usual times they leave or come home.  If I have to climb up the ladder, I will try switching position with a different camera.  Although I have 2 cameras that are the same distance to the neighbor's house and the other one is not having any issues.  

One thing I noticed is that it has been usually cold in Souther California the past 3 days. But by unusually cold, I mean it dips down to about 35 overnight.  This is nothing compared to other parts of the country that experience real winter.  But even so, it only happens to 1 camera.  

brh
Master
Master

@Fy27

Since you mentioned the temperatures it does sound to me like it could be a temperature problem although those temperatures are within the operating specs of the cameras. Maybe the battery is dying and is failing at a higher temperature than normal. Or only being charged to 60% is a low enough charge to cause the battery to not put out enough current. It could be that when the temperature warms up the battery starts to put out enough charge to start working again. I know you don't want to keep climbing the ladder but you might swap batteries with one from another camera instead of swapping the camera's locations. 

Have you thought about hooking up solar panels to your cameras? That is what I have done and my batteries never go below 90%.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swapping cameras around is likely to be the best/fastest way to get to the bottom.