Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo VMB4000 base cannot connect to app on phone or PC site.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DOOGIE52
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought an Arlo system with 3 cameras a few years ago but because of illness, am just now trying to set them up. The base is VMB4000. I wa told by Arlo support that the reason I cannot connect is because ports 80 and 443 are closed? I do have internet access so that doesn't make sense. Anyway, I bought a new Netgear router to get 2.4Ghz and tried to connect using that. No luck. Modified router settings to allow port forwarding on ports 80 and 443, still no luck. I set up new rules in windows allowing connections on the ports, still no luck. My ISP checked router from their office and said ports they are open!! I checked ports using ping.eu port check and that site says closed!! I log into ARLO's status page and EVERYTHING is green and normal! It is even logging past incidents as none. I tried resetting everything I can think of. All lights appear green with internet light blinking but nothing on app or pc. I have an open ticket with support 44018325. Arlo keeps insisting the ports are the issue but my ISP says NO. What to do? Sell the system at a loss? 

16 REPLIES 16
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DOOGIE52 wrote:

I bought an Arlo system with 3 cameras a few years ago but because of illness, am just now trying to set them up. The base is VMB4000. I was told by Arlo support that the reason I cannot connect is because ports 80 and 443 are closed? 

Unlikely. That can happen on a corporate network (where http/https traffic goes through a web proxy of some kind).  But not a normal home network.  Honestly I think support will tell you this when they've ruled out anything else they can think of.

What is the LED status?

A couple of things you can try:

• disable any internet security software (including parental controls) in the router.
  • Look at the router's dhcp/dns configuration.  If more than two DNS servers are configured, remove some until you have only two.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As above, the LED status of the base can tell us a lot. First, they should be green for power and Internet but solid amber or off for Camera. If that's green, hold the base reset button for >10 seconds until the LEDs flash amber. Let it reboot, ~2 minutes, and try again.

DOOGIE52
Aspirant
Aspirant

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWVVgNCaCrQb7V7v8. This short video shows base starting up after reset. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Kinda hard to discern the colors of the LEDs but it appears that ultimately power and Internet are green (the flashing of the Internet LED is expected as data is transferred) while I think the Camera LED is amber. If so, you should be able to onboard the base using the app or web client (my.arlo.com) with no issues. Make sure no VPN is in use for onboarding.

DOOGIE52
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not have VPN operating on my network. I even went so far as to create a new account with a different email address. Still no luck. Phone and pc cannot find any devices. 

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. How is the base station connected to the router?

2. Are the LAN ports on the router enabled? 

3. What are your firewall rules? 

DOOGIE52
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base station is connected to a lan port on the router. I can see base station from the router site. The lan ports are enabled. The base connects to internet. I changed firewall rules to port forwarding for ports 80 and 443.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You shouldn't have to change any firewall rules at this stage, as if you start messing with them, you'll end up having problems with connecting your devices. I suggest that you reset your firewall rules to defaults and test again. Once you've set up the system, then you could start experimenting with firewall rules. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DOOGIE52 wrote:

I changed firewall rules to port forwarding for ports 80 and 443.

Almost never needed, as the base only makes outbound connections.  Ports 80 and 443 are used for normal web browsing, so if you can browse the web they are already open. 

A commercial-grade firewall that has a web proxy of some kind could get in the way, but a normal router firewall doesn't have that.

DOOGIE52
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried resetting everything back to default settings, no luck. Even shut down firewall, no luck. I have already tried every possibility with router support and ISP support. Arlo support says as long as port 80 and 443 are closed, I am stuck. Today, Spectrum said those ports are open on their side but I see they are not on my side. So, instead of jerking around with 3 different support departments pointing fingers, I am selling the system and looking for one that actually works.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DOOGIE52 wrote:

Today, Spectrum said those ports are open on their side but I see they are not on my side. 

If you can browse the web, the base can reach the Arlo servers.  Port 80 and 443 are used for both of those functions.

Did you check the DNS settings as I suggested earlier?

DOOGIE52
Aspirant
Aspirant

I turned off firewall. Checked router settings and reset those back to original settings. LED lights light up and turn green after startup and reset. Done that multiple times.

DOOGIE52
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are only 2 DNS addresses for the router.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Was the base ever installed? 

DOOGIE52
Aspirant
Aspirant

Never able to install base or anything else 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DOOGIE52 wrote:

Never able to install base or anything else 

It is odd that the LEDs are green, since that normally means the equipment is connected to an account.