Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can you use Arlo Q-plus' PoE with a regular Comcast Internet modem?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bingowashisname
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I bought the PoE Q-Plus device thinking that PoE would be amazing! But I didn't realize... I think more hardware may be needed to make it actually work... I have a regular old Comcast cable modem (that is also a WiFi router). If I just plug one end of an Ethernet cable to the back of that modem, to the PoE adapter connected to the Arlo Q-Plus, it doesn't work. Question: do I need something to actually ... "give power" to the Ethernet cable? If so, how would the connection work (e.g., a piece of X attached via Ethernet to modem, and then another Ethernet from X new hardware to the PoE adapter on the Arlo Q-Plus)? Suggestions on what exactly X is called so I can buy it would be greatly helpful. Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing.

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The router must be not only capable of PoE but also the proper version.  You say it's an old device so it probably doesn't support PoE (use the Internet to check specs on the model number).  Call Comcast to see if they have a new version that does have support.  Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a switch to go between the camera and router - be sure to verify that the switch supports PoE.

Also, the Ethernet cable needs to be the proper type to support PoE.  Be sure to use a CAT6A cable.

Finally, you can always use the USB power adapter for power while still using the Ethernet for data.

bingowashisname
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok so just to be sure I understand, if I needed a switch (most likely...), it woudl go like this:

Comcast Internet modem ---> regular ethernet ---> PoE switch with proper version, and I'm guessing separate power cord (feel free to link!) ---> PoE specific CAT6A Ethernet cable ---> Arlo Q-plus

If that is correct, then last clarification, you say: "The router must be not only capable of PoE but also the proper version", how do I know what a proper version is? Like... I'm used to readin ga device for feature capability, like I can buy a switch (not sure if sentence applies only to routers, or to switches as well) that says PoE capable. But if there are 3 swithces that are PoE capable, what do I need to figure out which is the "proper" version for me?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Your device linking description is accurate.

As for what switch to use, there was a technical description in a thread here but you'd have to search to find it. I would think any current switch would work but can't be sure.
bingowashisname
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok and one more follow-up because you're so knowledgeable! If I wanted to use this with like a NetGear Powerline (plug ethernet into wall and move from socket to socket, so you don't need like a 100 foot ethernet cable or something), would this be the appropriate diagram?

Comcast Internet modem ---> regular ethernet ---> PoE switch ---> PoE specific CAT6A Ethernet cable ---> plugged into wall socket A by Powerline ---> Powerline plugged into a dfiferent socket B ---> PoE specific CAT6A Ethernet cable ---> Arlo Q-plus

And then the other ingredient is that both sockets A + B have to be on the same circuit?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you use a powerline adapter to run the camera, that adapter would have to provide the PoE.  Whatever device you're physically plugging the Ethernet cable from the camera into would be the one that has to support PoE.  I have no idea what such devices support that, whether powerline or WiFi extenders.  I suspect that few, if any, do but could be all wet.  Check the specifications carefully - if it doesn't mention PoE, it won't have it.

bingowashisname
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow, clearly I didn't do enough research. You've been SO helpful. Just to clarify, what do you mean when you say "could be all wet"?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
bingowashisname wrote:

Just to clarify, what do you mean when you say "could be all wet"?

"could be all wet" = I may not know what I'm talking about.

🙂

RagingJThomas
Aspirant
Aspirant
I may be a bit late to this conversation but hopefully I can help.

In order to use Power over Ethernet (PoE) with the Arlo Q Plus you require a device which provides PoE to be directly connected by a fully wired Ethernet cable to the RJ45 socket on the Ethernet-USB adaptor which comes with the Q Plus..

There are various devices that can provide PoE but usually these will be PoE network switches and PoE "injectors". It would be very unusual for a modem/router to provide PoE so you will need to get a PoE switch or a PoE injector and some Ethernet cables of suitable length.

A PoE network switch will be more expensive as it does more. PoE switches need a connection to mains electricity to function and will receive this using an internal power supply or a "wall wart" power supply, depending on the particular switch. They are normally available with 5-48 RJ45 ports, some or all of which can be used to provide PoE. If you require several devices to be supplied with PoE and can run continuous Ethernet links from the switch to the devices this might be for you (e.g. several Q Plus units that have Ethernet cable between the cameras and the PoE switch). It is a neater option than using multiple PoE injectors. The connections could run as follows: Modem/Router Port 1 <Ethernet Cable carrying data> PoE switch port 1. Then PoE switch port 2 <Ethernet Cable carrying power and data> <Arlo Ethernet-USB adaptor> Arlo Q Plus.
[This could be repeated for several Q Plus depending on the network switch]

If you only have one or two devices that require PoE then injectors might be better for you. Each injector will require mains electricity - usually provided by a "wall wart" power supply. The injector takes Ethernet from the modem/router on one port and "injects" power, providing PoE out on another port.
The connections could run as follows: Modem/Router Port 1 <Ethernet Cable carrying data> PoE Injector "Ethernet In" port. Then PoE Injector "PoE Out" port <Ethernet Cable carrying power and data> <Arlo Ethernet-USB adaptor> Arlo Q Plus.

I hope this helps!

If you are also using Powerline Extenders to transmit Ethernet around your building over your mains electricity wiring then you will likely need to use PoE injectors in the vicinity of each Arlo Q Plus - the PoE will not be passed over the mains cabling.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation