Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO NOT DETECTING MOTION or NOT recording it

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
mohavedan
Follower
Follower

My front door ARLO camera detected motion of and recorded the garbage truck this morning, but it didn't pick up the delivery of a 52" X 11" package 6 feet directly in front of it! I have NO confidence in this system at all.Why is there no video of this event?

5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

PIR motion sensors detect infrared signatures. They detect vehicles easily because vehicles have a large IR signature. People and some objects have a much smaller signature. Compounding smaller IR signatures with movement directly towards the camera is a recipe for non-detection. The PIR sensors work by the IR signature moving across the field of view. If you can, reposition the camera so the motion is from side to side rather than directly towards the camera. 
Alternatively, what I've done, is I have a camera above my door looking outwards but I also have another camera on the driveway fence at 90 degrees to the first camera. Both cameras are set to record on motion but both cameras also trigger the other camera. It's a good solution for the limitations of the technology, which is battery operated PIR sensor cameras that can be placed most places and don't require wiring. Also, the Arlo Pro cameras have significantly better motion sensors in them

Patrik_S
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you set the Motion Detection ON and OFF induvidually??
As I see it there is just ON and OFF for the hole system!!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

you could modify the sensitivity setting 0 zero for the cam you dont want it for in the mode you're using but why not just turn that cam off?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's Armed and Disarmed modes you can select for the whole system or use the On/Off switch in Settings, My Devices, your camera to turn that one camera off.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yup. You can turn each camera off via their settings page BUT if you want do this regularly, just set up a custom MODE and make rules for the cameras you want to be active and don't make a rule for the camera you want to be off. This is easier to access as well