Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo cameras need start recording before the person causing the motion detection is gone

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
PapabearPhoenix
Follower
Follower

Why doesn't the Arlo cameras start recording before the person causing the motion detection is gone from view.  The 8-10 second delay makes the cameras useless.  I have one camera that requires someone to be within 12" of the camera waving and jumping up and down to get the motion detection to work.  Overall, I give the Arlo cameras (scale of 1 to 10) a '1', with one being the lowest ranking.  The batteries are used up attempting to record passing cars, but never catches anyone approaching the house.  I can walk out get in my truck and start to drive away before it starts recording.

1 REPLY 1
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Battery operated cams use the PIR system, which started recording shortly after an infrared signature is noted; mains operated cams use a pixel change system so actually internally are constantly recording.

Best solution to maximize use of battery operated cam is to have a cam watch for motion earlier in the path and create a rule that starts the second cam recording when the first cam notices motion.  e,g cam one on the walkway and cam 2 watching the door.