Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Using Arlo Wire-Free remotely at cottage?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
markboks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I was hopign to get some help. We have a cottage, and I'm hoping to use the Arlo Wire-Free (4 cameras) to keep an eye on it remotely. The problem is, I have Wifi but limited data.

Is it possible to set it up such that it streams video for e.g. 10 minutes/day to my phone remotely (if I have the app open)? Any idea how much data this would take up per month?

And to set it up, it says to ensure that my phone or computer is connected to the same Router as the Argo base station - this is only for set-up I'm assuming?

Thanks!

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First the Arlo base needs and will only run from an Ethernet port ( for Internet service).

So you must meet that requirement at a min speed of 1 Mbs upload.

setup is required to be on the same network but not after.

10 mins a day is doable, but spec use for battery life is 5 or less so you would be changing batteries more often

Last, a 10 sec video at best quality is about 1 MB ( IIRR),  you can do the math for 10 mins x 30 days....

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
markboks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi TomMac, that's very helpful, thank you. 

This is very new to me so apologies that my next question is likely going to seem very basic...

This is what I'm hoping to do - does it seem reasonable/doable?:

We bought the 4 camera Argo Wire-Free system for our cottage, about 2 hours away. We hope to use it to monitor our bubblers in the lake around a boathouse, and a swimdock, simply to ensure that they are working (which we can tell by there being open water around these areas).

I want to set it all up when I'm up there, and then put the system on a 'schedule' so that the cameras record very minimal each day (even 10 seconds would be fine). Is there a way to make the cameras record on a schedule? (I know that I can set the motion detector on or off, but is there a way to simply force it to record for 5-10 seconds no matter what, motion or not, at a specified time each day)? 

And then these short videos would be uploaded to Arlo's cloud, and I could view them each night at some point.

If this is all possible, does the 'free' plan include this option? (I don't think that it used to, based on what I could google).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

markboks wrote

Is there a way to make the cameras record on a schedule? (I know that I can set the motion detector on or off, but is there a way to simply force it to record for 5-10 seconds no matter what, motion or not, at a specified time each day)? 

No, the Arlos are "motion detect then record " type of system.... they can be ARMED for motion by schedule but not forced to record by schedule ( unless you manually do it with Live View )

Doesn't matter what service plan, it just doesn't do it.

Also if you do decide to use the system there ( 2 hrs ) away, I recommend a UPS for the base unit and maybe your modem/router... if power goes out , the base soemtimes does not come back on line or the cams loose sync...you have nothing but a trip to restart them.

From what you want to do, it may be suited for a different type of camera system, maybe wired.

markboks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks TomMac. We do have a generator back-up, but I see your point...I'd still have to manually restart it (same with our router for some reason). That wouldn't be the end of the world for me - going up every now and then to do that though.

If I set it on a schedule (i.e. have the motion detection turned on or off), I was hoping to set the motion detection to be so sensitive that it would usually turn on during those periods at least for a few seconds. There are some trees in the line of sight for example (or I could put up on a wind toy) - so is it unreasonable to think that approach might work? I could play with the length of time that the motion detection was set to 'on' each day on the schedule to hope that it turned on for a few seconds at least each day (or at least once a week would work).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just going to say it may work ( wind toy ) but your thinking out side the box and will have to test it yrself to see if it fullfills your needs... remember, its a PIR sensor, works on passive IR detection .