× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Extremely slow WiFi

ExWhyWhyZee
Aspirant

Extremely slow WiFi

I have two Cloud Managed WiFi 6 (WAX615PA) devices that I purchased to setup a mesh network.  I finally got round to setting up the first.  I'm having a two problems with it, but the one I need addressed first is the outrageously slow WiFi speeds.  (The other is not being able to add it to Insight)

These two APs will be replacing a AX1800 WiFi Router (RAX15) #.  The AX1800 WiFi Router (RAX15) #has been quite remarkable.  I get wonderful speeds and excellent coverage.  The Cloud Managed WiFi 6 (WAX615) #, on the other hand, has been nothing but a disappointment

Whereas I can get the full available throughput on the AX1800 WiFi Router (RAX15) #(300+ Mbps), I am lucky if I am able to get 20Mbps (usually get 11-15Mbps) on the Cloud Managed WiFi 6 (WAX615) #.  Initially, I thought it may have had something to do with the distance and weaker signal, when I brought the laptop right next to the Cloud Managed WiFi 6 (WAX615) #, the speeds remained unchanged.

I purchased the Cloud Managed WiFi 6 (WAX615) #devices for both mesh capability and the ability to have multiple VLANS/SSIDs.  At the moment, I've created 2 VLANs, but once this issue is resolved, I'll be adding a few more

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: Extremely slow WiFi

Operating these WAX615 as wired access points (ideally on 2.5 GbE switch ports) or got trapped by the consumer-designation of a mesh system by configuring in an Insight Instant Mesh network set-up?

Each WAX615 can reach up to 2400 Mbps link rates on 5GHz in 2x2 at 20/40/80/160MHz bandwidth, and 600 Mbps in 2x2 2.4GHz on 20/40MHz bandwidth.

Message 2 of 11
ExWhyWhyZee
Aspirant

I'm not using Insight.  I'm accessing the installed device using its web portal.

The switch it connected to a 10GE switch.  I wanted to use the wired port for the backhaul.

Any ideas of how I can improve the speeds?

Message 3 of 11
BasuKhodanapur
Apprentice

Hello @ExWhyWhyZee 

Could you please share the following details?

1. Firmware version 

2. Network Topology

3. And please share client details and where you are running speed test.

What error you seeing while registering WAX615PA to insight?

Thanks,

Basavaraj 

Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@ExWhyWhyZee wrote:

The switch it connected to a 10GE switch.  I wanted to use the wired port for the backhaul.

What switch you talk of connected to a 10 GbE switch? One WAX615 in some (wireless?) Mesh config to another WAX615, or is there another switch (or multiple switch ports on that 10 GbE switch involved?

Still confused.

Note: Not al 10 GbE switches are supporting MultiGig links like the WAX615 does on 2.5 GbE.

Message 5 of 11
ExWhyWhyZee
Aspirant

>1. Firmware version

V10.4.0.5

> 2. Network Topology

Wireless client --(wifi)--> WAX615 --(ethernet)--> Dell N4032 (10GE layer 3 switch)

> 3. And please share client details and where you are running speed test.

Microsoft Surface Book 3 running Windows 10

Protocol: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Security type: WPA3-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 44
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 865/288 (Mbps)

compare this to the RAX15:

Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network channel: 153
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 1201/1201 (Mbps)

> What error you seeing while registering WAX615 to insight?

I'll scan the network, while connected to the WAX615, and it'll come back with "No device found.  Pull down the screen to try again."

Message 6 of 11
ExWhyWhyZee
Aspirant

the WAX615, and I'm only using a single AP right now, is connected to a Dell n4032 switch

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@ExWhyWhyZee wrote:

> 3. And please share client details and where you are running speed test.

Microsoft Surface Book 3 running Windows 10

Security type: WPA3-Personal
Network channel: 44
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 865/288 (Mbps)

compare this to the RAX15:

Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network channel: 153
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 1201/1201 (Mbps)

Different channel in use, the WAX615 is probably overlapping with other devices on the 5 GHz band, for example channel 36-48 (20 MHz wide each, total 80 MHz wide), and/or channel 52-64 (again, 20 MHz wide each, total 80 MHz wide), or all channels together. 

@ExWhyWhyZee wrote:

> What error you seeing while registering WAX615 to insight?

I'll scan the network, while connected to the WAX615, and it'll come back with "No device found.  Pull down the screen to try again."

The Insight App device discovery implies that other WAX615 is connected to the same Ethernet broadcast domain, the IP assigned is in the same IP subnet, like the other WAX615, ....and the wireless client does again get an IP address from that same IP subnet by DHCP. Needless to say, an untagged flat network or all ports are on an untagged VLAN, a working DHCP server and more is required on all ports.

Message 8 of 11
ExWhyWhyZee
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Different channel in use, the WAX615 is probably overlapping with other devices on the 5 GHz band, for example channel 36-48 (20 MHz wide each, total 80 MHz wide), and/or channel 52-64 (again, 20 MHz wide each, total 80 MHz wide), or all channels together. 

The Insight App device discovery implies that other WAX615 is connected to the same Ethernet broadcast domain, the IP assigned is in the same IP subnet, like the other WAX615, ....and the wireless client does again get an IP address from that same IP subnet by DHCP. Needless to say, an untagged flat network or all ports are on an untagged VLAN, a working DHCP server and more is required on all ports.

I'm not sure how to break the quote, so I'll just respond here.

The WAX615 is not overlapping on channel 44; it's all by itself.  Actually, there are many of the neighbor's devices that share the RAX15's channel 153.

Next, I'm not really focused on meshing both WAX615 APs at the moment.  I only have one up and running, while the second sits still in its box.  I want to resolve the speed issue with the first before start down the path of meshing them.

While I have Insight installed, I'm not really using it.  I'm accessing the active WAX615 using it's web portal, which is just fine by me.

I don't have any issues with the VLANs.  I have a DHCP server, and a backup that are assigning addresses to each unique VLAN, and that's working just fine.

I just need to sort out the speed.  This device is advertised as a 3000mbps device, so I'm sure I can expect at least 2000mbps as the throughput (not this entirely unacceptable 20mpbs throughput).  If you can help me resolve this issue alone, it would be great.

Message 9 of 11
Toolbome
Aspirant

Are you using PoE or the wall adapter?
Message 10 of 11
ExWhyWhyZee
Aspirant

I'm using the wall adapter.  I purchased the Netgear PS.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements