× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Mesh by using Ethernet backhaul

BUFFBOY
Aspirant

Mesh by using Ethernet backhaul

Hi all,

So I want to setup a mesh network for my house and i want to know what Orbi or any other stand alone devices I can get for it to connect to my R9000 Router which can make a mesh WiFi network ?

I have 3 floors wired with Ethernet ports and the main router next to the modem downstairs however im experience deadspots up stairs.

I want to know what devices can be connected to my R9000 via ethernet emit the same SSID, pretty much a mesh network.

I know I can setup APs with another router but mobile devices dont auto switch between the routers.

Any ideas ?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Hi,

Amazing how the false consumer marketing repeated and reflected by many consumer technology sites does lead to wrong conclusions. And no, I'm not talking about the ability of converting consumer routers to (very, very, ...) basic wireless access points. 

What you are looking for is infrastructure support for Radio Resource Management (RRM, IEEE 802.11k [Wikipedia]), Fast Roaming (Fast Basic Service Set Transition (FT)IEEE 802.11r [Wikipedia], and Opportunistic Key Caching (OKC, IEEE 802.11i).

These are features (selected, rarely all!) commonly implemented on what is sold and promoted as Mesh systems for the consumer - but have nothing to do with the effective mesh technology to link the access points together.

As you are in the lucky situation having network cables, all you need are some GbE Ethernet ports (I'd go for PoE+ if there is cabling available exclusively for the WiFi extension, like some Netgear Insight GC110P, GC510PP, ...), and some affordable wireless access points (like the Netgear WAC505 or the new WAC540), ideally paired with an Insight Pro subscription (comparable inexpensive for what you get!). Avoid buying into routers with AP mode (often limited), Mesh Extenders, or an Orbi system (you don't need a WiFI radio reserved for the backhaul as all wired! And then, Orbi can't use an existing switched network for it's backhaul - sigh!).

Don't forget to enable RRM and OKC for your wireless networkin the Insight management system. This is it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hi,

Amazing how the false consumer marketing repeated and reflected by many consumer technology sites does lead to wrong conclusions. And no, I'm not talking about the ability of converting consumer routers to (very, very, ...) basic wireless access points. 

What you are looking for is infrastructure support for Radio Resource Management (RRM, IEEE 802.11k [Wikipedia]), Fast Roaming (Fast Basic Service Set Transition (FT)IEEE 802.11r [Wikipedia], and Opportunistic Key Caching (OKC, IEEE 802.11i).

These are features (selected, rarely all!) commonly implemented on what is sold and promoted as Mesh systems for the consumer - but have nothing to do with the effective mesh technology to link the access points together.

As you are in the lucky situation having network cables, all you need are some GbE Ethernet ports (I'd go for PoE+ if there is cabling available exclusively for the WiFi extension, like some Netgear Insight GC110P, GC510PP, ...), and some affordable wireless access points (like the Netgear WAC505 or the new WAC540), ideally paired with an Insight Pro subscription (comparable inexpensive for what you get!). Avoid buying into routers with AP mode (often limited), Mesh Extenders, or an Orbi system (you don't need a WiFI radio reserved for the backhaul as all wired! And then, Orbi can't use an existing switched network for it's backhaul - sigh!).

Don't forget to enable RRM and OKC for your wireless networkin the Insight management system. This is it.

Message 2 of 4
BUFFBOY
Aspirant

Can the WAC540 model be connected to my existing router and broadcast the same SSID ? turning into essentially a blanket of WiFi at home without having to change on my devices. 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Yes, of course.

Ref. the WAC505/510/540 - be aware that most SKU come without power supplies. Obvious, the preferred way is using PoE (PoE+ for the 540) for most deployments.

Power adapter included only with WAC540PA: 12V DC, 2.5A; plug is localized to country of sale. North America SKU WAC540PA-100NAS.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements