× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Two Floors building with two routers and one netgear extender

darya_monaco
Follower

Two Floors building with two routers and one netgear extender

Hello, 
I am looking for the business solution for our company. 
Our company has two floors and two worksattions on the ground floor. 
First floor we have the router with 200Mbit/s, but to have on the same floor good quality Wi-Fi we have to setup the netgear extender. On the Ground floor we have second Router 300 Mbit. The building in total makes about 350 sq. m.

Problem:  we have3 different networks. Internet is very slow in workstations. 
Our task: to ensure that we have one single network (the on e we recive from the first floor) in the entire building including the workstations on the ground floor

Shall we buy more Netgear extenders for the ground floor (I tested to put the netgear extender on the ground floor but no signal and I tried with stairs but very low internet)? Any other advices? 

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Darya

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Two Floors building with two routers and one netgear extender

What is the material between the 2 floors? Cement floor/ceiling? 

If you're wanting single ssid (wireless name), I'd look at moving to an triband orbi setup. Especially if your business relies on wifi. 

If you have cement between the 2 floors, I'd try to find a way to hardwire in the access points instead of using the wireless backhaul between the 2 floors. 

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Two Floors building with two routers and one netgear extender

Ciao, Bonjour, Grüezi, 

Two dedicated Internet routers and Internet connections (one on each floor) plus an extender attempting to create a vertical wireless connection for one of these networks. Makes under the line two networks,with a total of three wireless names/SSIDs. 

Your building looks decent, typical Swiss power installation. Well possible there is cabling/tubing for telephony and probably also cable TV.

I would seriously looking into installing at least one network cable connecting the two floors, focus into one (if possible faster - no fiber coverage at your loacation yet?) Internet connection. one end of the network cable where the "faster" router can be installed, the other end on the other floor where you can install e.g. a network switch with a wireless access point instead of the second router.

While installing a cabling, depending on the building and room layout, I would consider installing some more, e.g. cover the other floor with two or three cables, and add some on the main floor with some more. this would allow to set-up a nice SOHO or small business network, with some small wireless access points, e.g. on a PoE switch. The best investment ever - stay far away from any wireless extenders.

This is typically easily (and legally) possible along the tubing for the telephone cable and the cable TV cables.

Where are you located in Switzerland?

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements