× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Unable to login after reset - AC2000/WAC124

kenkel98
Tutor

Unable to login after reset - AC2000/WAC124

I installed a Netgear AC2000/WAC124 for a client about a year ago.

We were having issues so I reset the router.

Now, I can't log back in to the router.

When originally setup, I was forced to use an internet connection to configure the router.  I would have used 1 of 2 email addresses to set it up.

After I reset the router, I tried the following:

Connect a laptop directly to a LAN port on the router, no WAN cable connected.  Laptop will not pull IP from router.

Connect using wifi and default wireless info per the label on bottom of the router.  Connects to wifi, but will not pull IP from router.

Before doing the above, I connected the unit to my network and with internet access, I was able to link to the website but when I use the 2 email addresses, I get a message that no devices are assigned to this user.

Can you tell me the email address or account this router is assigned to?  Otherwise, I will just toss it in the trash and move on.

This unit was originally setup and working properly.  Now, it is a boat anchor and not a very good one.

Why can I not reset this router, connect a patch cord to a LAN port and to my laptop NIC and using default IP info and login credentials, access this router for configuration?  For the past 20 years or so, that is exactly what I have been doing.

I have used this router in one other customer but now I am concerned about using it in furture client offices.

Can you please tell me how to get into this thing?

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Ken

Model: WAC124|AC2000 Dual Band 4x4
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Glad to hear that it is working.  You can close this thread by clicking on "Accept as solution" 

Feel free to reach us if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Raghu

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The only thing coming into my mind is that the WAC124 originally defaulted to an access point mode - so your observation makes perfect sense (in my simple mind as it is a wireless access point in the first priority!) - as such it won't run a DHCP server on the LAN and not issue IP addresses on the LAN ports. This default was changed from a firmware version 1.0.4.2 and above - details can be found on the WAC124 — AC2000 Dual Band 4x4 Wireless Access Point - Documentation.

As I'm not Netgear (and lack of a serial number anyway) I can't figure out under which account that WAC124 is registered - should this ever happened before.

Message 2 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @kenkel98 

Could you please PM me serial number of your WAC124 and the two email address that you tried?

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 3 of 9
kenkel98
Tutor

Thank you for your help but I tried both reset methods, includes 30-30-30, but the router is still not handing out IP's.

So, I set a static IP on my laptop and tried but it went to the URL router setup page asking for a login.

I have access to the firmwares, but how do I install a firmware without access to the router?

Did you check the email addresses I sent you?  I have one more that I may have used but very doubtful I used it.

Please let me know what to do next, I have never had this much trouble logging into a router or firewall.

I guess the days of simple logins are gone.  Too bad, normally this would have taken me about 5 minutes total.

Thanks again for your help, do I need to just toss this thing?

Ken

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Does the device pull an IP from a DHCP server? Think about the fact that the device does default to AP mode on older firmware...

Message 5 of 9
kenkel98
Tutor

Yes, it pulls from my other router.  Problem is, I have reset the device and now cannot login to Web page setup.  Email address is not what I used originally to setup the router so I can't reset password or anything.  I miss the days of just entering the default IP and logging in to setup a router.  I am working with another Netgear tech via PM, he found email assigned to this router.  I need to either get it into router mode or get the device assigned to my email address or get the password reset on the Netgear webpage so I can once again have access to the router.  One thing for sure, I will never purchase this model again.  I am IT tech, have been since the early 80's.  I have never had this much trouble with any device, router or firewall.  I have sold 2 or 3 of these units, this is the only one I have had issues with but right now this particilar device is worthless to me.  I will end up having to purchase my client another router if I can't get back into this one.

Thanks for your input and help, I appreciate everyone who has offered assistance.

Ken

Message 6 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @kenkel98 

Hope you are able to register and login now with your new email address.  Please share your feedback.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 7 of 9
kenkel98
Tutor

Hi Raghu,

Yes Sir, that took care of it.

I was able to login and register to my email account and then was able to reprogram the device.

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Ken

Message 8 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Glad to hear that it is working.  You can close this thread by clicking on "Accept as solution" 

Feel free to reach us if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements