× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC510 Guest Network

ShawB
Aspirant

WAC510 Guest Network

I am installing a WAC-510 access point for my home network.  I would like to have a guest network available that will only have access to the internet and not to my other devices.  Can anybody please tell me how to set this up.  The specs says the AP does support a guest network.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Please configure separate SSID for the guest network and assign separate VLANs for that. You have to configure the switch where WAC510 is connected and make sure to isolate this VLAN from others. By this way you can isolate guest network from your rest of network. Hope it helps Raghu

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

WAC510 supports up to 4 SSID on each radio.

you can have 

SSID1=Primary SSID for family

SSID2=Secondary SSID for guests

Going one step ahead, 

any of the SSID can be changed to Captive portal SSID.

if done, the guest users will get popup splash page before they get internet access.

you can set up mutiple types here based of your usecase.

1) open with splashpage. more common in some business.

2) you can put a WPA-PSK with splashpage.

3) We can use badnwidth conf to set the per client limits on this SSID, so that guest cannot hog the bandwidth.

Message 2 of 5
ShawB
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.  My major concern is that all of my devices are still visible to the guest.  Is there any way the guest only sees the internet?

Message 3 of 5
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Please configure separate SSID for the guest network and assign separate VLANs for that. You have to configure the switch where WAC510 is connected and make sure to isolate this VLAN from others. By this way you can isolate guest network from your rest of network. Hope it helps Raghu
Message 4 of 5
ShawB
Aspirant

Great, your answer is most helpful.  Netgear should state in the WAC510 specs, that it must be connected to a programmable switch with multiple VLANs in order to implement guest network with proper isolation.  I have a dumb POE switch (GS308P) so will be foregoing the guest network for now.  Thanks again for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements