× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX202 in bridge mode lost wireless radio

Popo99
Aspirant

WAX202 in bridge mode lost wireless radio

I've got two WAX202 used to extend my network.

One is set up as a AP, wired to the base router. This one works fine, as both a switch and a wireless broadcaster.

The second one I set up in bridge mode, because I can't pull a wire (Ethernet cable) to connect it at my desired location. I can set it up to connect wirelessly to my base router, get internet connection from this WAX202 in bridge mode. But then I find out its own wireless function (radio broadcast?) is disabled. That was enabled during initially set up as a router. Roughly speaking, to me, it is not an AP.

Got to say don't know much about these AP, WAP and (wireless) Bridge Mode. Is there something call WAP when a router can connect wirelessly to the base router and serve as an AP (like my first WAX202, except here wirelessly instead of my case of wired). Based on what I spoke to Netgear, WAX202 as an AP only supports the wired version.

Here is my question.

Why is my second WAX202 in bridge mode can't broadcast radio (turn on wireless) and work as an AP? Is it because a router in bridge mode just won't become an AP, or just WAX202 is too basic to support it?

Or did I do something wrong?

If WAX202 is too basic to support WAP (which looks like in bridge mode but support the AP function), what is a basic router that has this function?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

so it basically amounts to confusion. Both on your part and on how different manufacturer's define bridge mode. 

For netgear, bridge mode is where it acts as just a bridge between 2 devices. It doesn't rebroadcast. so basically it uses its wireless as a bridge and gives the end user the ability to use the ethernet ports on the "bridge" device. 

Some other companies use bridge mode for repeater/extender mode. 

The WAX202 doesn't have repeater/extender mode. Either access point mode, router mode, or bridge mode. 

Options?

You could always hardwire it in using powerline or moca adapters. 

Or you could look at returning it and getting a wireless extender since thats what your trying to use it for. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

so it basically amounts to confusion. Both on your part and on how different manufacturer's define bridge mode. 

For netgear, bridge mode is where it acts as just a bridge between 2 devices. It doesn't rebroadcast. so basically it uses its wireless as a bridge and gives the end user the ability to use the ethernet ports on the "bridge" device. 

Some other companies use bridge mode for repeater/extender mode. 

The WAX202 doesn't have repeater/extender mode. Either access point mode, router mode, or bridge mode. 

Options?

You could always hardwire it in using powerline or moca adapters. 

Or you could look at returning it and getting a wireless extender since thats what your trying to use it for. 

Message 2 of 5
Popo99
Aspirant

Thank you for explaining this.

Message 3 of 5
Popo99
Aspirant

Just to add a note. Netgear does seem to have some WAP products, like this one

NETGEAR Wireless Desktop Access Point (WAC104) - WiFi 5 Dual-Band AC1200 Speed | 3 x 1G Ethernet Ports | Up to 64 Devices | WPA2 Security | Desktop | MU-MIMO | Supports 3 SSIDs | 802.11ac

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-Wireless-Access-WAC104-100NAS/dp/B01LFSDZCU/ref=asc_df_B01LFSD...

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

They do have some. Not arguing that. Just not the version you have. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements