Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Any way to have an ethernet connection bypassing my router with CM1100 modem?

GoPadres
Aspirant

Any way to have an ethernet connection bypassing my router with CM1100 modem?

Hi, so I've been troubleshooting some packet loss and latency issues and I've found that connecting my PC directly to my CM1100 seems to give me a slightly better experience. It doesn't solve all of my issues, but it helps some. The problem now is that the CM1100 only has one ethernet port and I need to use that for my router. I have a ethernet switch and I tried to use that in between the modem and router, but that is apparently not a valid configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the problem there is that no IP adress is being created for devices connected to the ethernet switch? Anyways, I'm just wondering if there is a way to have my desktop's ethernet connection bypass my router, while still having my router online and functioning normally? Is there some kind of fancy ethernet switch or device that can accomplish this? I'm pretty lost, as you can porbably tell

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Any way to have an ethernet connection bypassing my router with CM1100 modem?

Wont work like that. 

If your ISP supports having another WAN IP address on the other port, then you could connect a 2nd router to the other port on the CM modem. 

What wifi router system do you have connected to the CM modem?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM1100 has two ports. Mine does, however thats either only used for LAG or if yoru ISP supports assigning two different WAN IPs to the modem. Most don't. 

Your Orbi as FW updates as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Please visit the Orbi AX forum for Orbi AX help and information. 

Message 2 of 6
GoPadres
Aspirant

Ok I'll have to look into that extra WAN IP with Cox, I did not know that was a possibility. Thanks for the tip! Yeah I was super dissapointed when I realized the second port was for LAG lol, might've went with a different modem.

Something else just occured to me. Maybe I could add another router into my setup? I could go: Modem->ethernet switch->two different routers (one in bridge mode used solely for my desktop ethernet connection)?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Wont work like that. 

If your ISP supports having another WAN IP address on the other port, then you could connect a 2nd router to the other port on the CM modem. 

What wifi router system do you have connected to the CM modem?

Message 4 of 6
GoPadres
Aspirant

Ok I see. I have a Orbi RBR750 with two sattelites. FW updated to the new 1/21/21 release. I've been connecting to the main router via ethernet, but getting crazy latency spikes and packet loss. Today I had 40% packet loss on the Orbi (first hop). But, sometimes it as if the latency jumps/packet loss are coming from upstream. Its probably mostly just COVID related ISP issues, but I just want to make the most of what I have. I will just pray that my ISP lets me use that second WAN port

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7