Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple "Private Relay" not working

pedz
Guide

Apple "Private Relay" not working

I have a Netgear CAX30 and my cable provider is Spectrum.

Apple's Private Relay does not work for me.. This was true for the previous release of macOS but when Ventura came out, I decided to try again.  Previously, it was marked as "Beta" and that has disappeared.  So... I'm putting a little more effort into determining why it isn't working.

When I try to enable "Private Relay" on my Mac, I first go to Safari => Settings => Privacy.  There is a checkbox and some text that starts out "Hide IP Address from Trackers" and at the end of the text is a link "learn more".

I click the link and it takes me to System Settings => My name at the top => iCloud => Private Relay and presents a dialog box.  In the upper right is a button: "Turn on Private Relay".  I click that.  Then there is a button in the middle left "Turn on for Safari" and I click that.

After maybe 5 to 10 seconds, I get a pop up that reads:

To access the internet on this network, you need to turn off Private Relay. Turning off Private Relay means this network can monitor your internet activity, and your IP address will not be hidden from known trackers or websites.

In the background, it has gone into the Mac's WiFi Settings and turned off "Limit IP Address Tracking".  To see this, do System Settings => Network => Wifi (at the top -- this has changed in Ventura).  The active network name will have a checkmark and a circle with 3 dots in the far right.  Click the circle => Network Settings and a dialog will pop up with a few settings.  One will be "Limit IP Address Tracking" and it will now be off.  It appears in order to try again, this needs to be turned on (see below).

From this point on, when you repeat the "Turn on Private Relay" and "Turn on for Safari", immediately you get this message:

Private Relay is either not supported by this network or Limit IP Address Tracking has been turned off in Wi-Fi Settings. When Private Relay is off, this network can monitor your internet activity, and your IP address will not be hidden from known trackers or websites.

And, indeed, "Limit IP Address Tracking" has been turned off.

I've been surfing around and according to Apple documents, this uses "QUIC" protocol which is a UDP based protocol on port 443 -- at least that is my interpretation of what I'm reading.

So the punchline / question is: does anyone know what is going on and why this isn't working?  Is there a setting in the router that I need to change?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
pedz
Guide

For others: The reason Apple Private Relay isn't working for me is because I have a pi-hole set up. You can read the "answer" to my question here.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask Apple about regarding there OS and features. 

Message 2 of 4
pedz
Guide

For others: The reason Apple Private Relay isn't working for me is because I have a pi-hole set up. You can read the "answer" to my question here.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements