Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Auto Firmware Update (Genie)

robert_long
Follower

Auto Firmware Update (Genie)

Genie is the software for maintaining and accessing the N450 cable modem.  Last night I discovered my web server went offline.  This hasn't happened in a long time, so it came as a surprise.  A known error is if the IP changes and no one tells you about it.  But no, the IP didn't change.  So I took a look at the modem software, Genie, and to my astonishment all the Port Forwarding data was missing !  Without the Port Forwarding data, the server will not work.

According to Netgear, firmware updates are "pushed down by the ISP".  In other words, you don't update the Genie software yourself because you can't - according to Netgear.  Netgear provides your ISP with the latest firmware and they do the updating.

This must be what took place, but I had no idea.  No message, no notification, nothing - not a word from Netgear nor the ISP.  But worse, why did the update erase all my user data ?  I don't remember anything like this in the past.  

I think some type of notifiication or contact is in order if this is how Netgear operates their firmware updates. 

Anybody else ever experience this problem ? 

Model: CG3000D-2CXNAS|COX N450 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Auto Firmware Update (Genie)

Yes, it's up to ISP to push FW to user owned modems. Some do and some do not. 

ISPs don't seem to notifiy anyone on or when FW updates are being pushed. Usually happens upon first activation of a modem however is something comes down later on, usually late at night. Usually a power OFF of the modem for 1 minute then back on ensures the modem is working well after a FW update. Factory reset as last resort. 

Genie app has been retired and no longer used on current modem products. So you can use it for what it's worth. Going forward, if you get a newer modem, the app won't work. 

All this is a DOCSIS spec when it comes to cable modem FW. NG develops and checks the FW, however the ISPs have to test it on there system and network first before they push to modems out in the fields. It's how this is set for in policy. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7