Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bought Nighthawk X6 AC3200 router for Comcast Internet - Best modem to buy?

roymi
Aspirant

Bought Nighthawk X6 AC3200 router for Comcast Internet - Best modem to buy?

Hello everyone,

I'm using Comcast for my internet, speed is around 240mbps I believe, going to increase this in the near future, if things go well to 1Gig. I only have internet and no cable (at this moment no plans to add cable), this is a short term rental house and I want to showcase the internet as part of the appeal, so I will get the entire range of possible uses for the internet, it's a big house with 5 bedrooms so I imagine a lot of computers/devices connected, my security system alone is 4 wired cameras that are 4K and a Ring security floodlight camera. The performance of the comcast router/model is lacking (especially with the Ring!) and just gave up and will save myself the router rental fee!

So, I bought the nighthawk X6 ac3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000), what modem would you recommed to buy for this setup.

Thank you in advance!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you're looking for modems and plan on gigabit I'd recommend either the CM1000 or CM1100. The difference is that the CM1100 has the potential for wan port link aggregation. The R8000 doesn't have this option but if the price is close, it gives you a future upgrade option. 

I have both modems and they've been rock solid for me on Xfinity. 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I enjoy my CM1100. If you get this modem you have the ability possibly to have two routers connected to the back of the modem using different WAN IPs from the ISP. Mines connected and I have two different NG Orbi systems connected give two different networks in the home. 1Gb/50Mb service here. 

@roymi wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm using Comcast for my internet, speed is around 240mbps I believe, going to increase this in the near future, if things go well to 1Gig. I only have internet and no cable (at this moment no plans to add cable), this is a short term rental house and I want to showcase the internet as part of the appeal, so I will get the entire range of possible uses for the internet, it's a big house with 5 bedrooms so I imagine a lot of computers/devices connected, my security system alone is 4 wired cameras that are 4K and a Ring security floodlight camera. The performance of the comcast router/model is lacking (especially with the Ring!) and just gave up and will save myself the router rental fee!

So, I bought the nighthawk X6 ac3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000), what modem would you recommed to buy for this setup.

Thank you in advance!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I enjoy my CM1100. If you get this modem you have the ability possibly to have two routers connected to the back of the modem using different WAN IPs from the ISP. Mines connected and I have two different NG Orbi systems connected give two different networks in the home. 1Gb/50Mb service here. 

Make sure you check with your ISP before trying this as many isp's will only assign 1 IP address. Not all do this but I know my ISP won't allow more than a single IP unless you upgrade to a business line. 

Message 4 of 8
roymi
Aspirant

Thank you guys seems like the cm1100, unless it's way more expensive than the cm1000 then the cm1000

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how you like it. 

Message 6 of 8
roymi
Aspirant

Just saw the CM1200 at $179 at best buy, about $30 more than the CM1000, any compelling reason to get the CM1200? I see Best Buy doesn't carry the CM1100, strange.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The 1200 is about the same accept with additional WAN ports which ports 3 and 4 are for ISP address assignment only!!! These are not LAN IP address assigned ports in case you are curious. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7