Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6220 not showing 5ghz

nathancameron
Aspirant

C6220 not showing 5ghz

Alright so last weekend I was out of town and came back to find the 5ghz internet option is not longer showing up. 2.4ghz has no issues connecting but is noticeably slower. 

I've tried to factory reset, I've done all of the power cycling that I've done as solutions in the past to other issues, but nothing is fixing this. All lights are solid on the modem/router itself, but the 5ghz isn't broadcasting out. 

I've seen other solutions on here but none of these are fixing my problem. Desperate for some help. 

Message 1 of 6
nathancameron
Aspirant

Re: C6220 not showing 5ghz

Also, forgot to add that it's running V1.02.31 firmware

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a 30-30-30 reset on the modem with it disconnected from the ISP coax line and all other LAN cables disconnected. Then walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. 

If this fails to bring back the 5Ghz signa, time for something new. 
Could put this gateway into bridge mode and use the modem portion and connect up something external or use this gateway in router mode and disable all wifi radios on the gateway and connect up something new externally in AP mode. 

Message 3 of 6
nathancameron
Aspirant

I can give the wired reset a try, but I'm not convinced it'll make a difference considering all of the other resets that I've done based on other posts here with similar issues. 

Probably time to get a new one, considering this one is about 3.5 years old at this point - I've noticed it runs pretty warm when it's on so I'm wondering if that's a sign to get another as well. 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably. Time for something new. I recommend separate units, modem and external wifi router system. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Its a bit older than 3.5 years. It was initially released in 2016. So it's an 8-year-old device and only DOCSIS 3.0. 

I'd look at picking up a modem separate from the router. The reason why is they're now starting the initial rollout of DOCSIS 4.0 devices to some areas. And they've been increasing specs needed for many speed tiers to DOCSIS 3.1. It would be unfortunate to get another 3.0 device and be unable to use it in a short period. 

Plus a modem separate from the router tends to be faster and get more updates. A bit steeper of a buy-in but a better option IMO. 

I'd look for a DOCSIS 3.1 device. The CODA56 is a docsis 3.1 device that is eligible for xfinity's next gen speed tier (if you're on xfinity). Plus its pretty reasonably priced. All depends on the speed tier and ISP you pay for for what we'd recommend. Then you'd just need a router. Most AX routers are going to make the C6220 you were using a night/day difference in performance. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7