Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6300v2 AC1750 Comcast claims it's incompatible

JoJo27
Guide

C6300v2 AC1750 Comcast claims it's incompatible

Comcast is now claiming our wifi router is incompatible with our current internet plan ("incompatible based on filters," whatever that means). Such that we aren't taking full advantage of our internet speeds. They say we should buy a new one from them. I think they are full of it and just want to squeeze some money out of us. But I want to be sure. How can I can test this? They claim our wired speeds are "up to 369 Mbps" and have no data on our wifi download speeds. We only use wifi. Not wired.
Their newer models have wired speeds of 2.37Gbps and
DOCSIS Channels
16 down x 4 up
32 down x 8 up
DOCSIS Version
DOCSIS 3.0
DOCSIS 3.1
My internet speed plan:
Blast!® Internet Plan
Download speeds: up to 600 Mbps
Upload speeds: up to 20 Mbps
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The 369mbps is more realistic for that device on comcast. You might hit a bit faster but you don't really use it over wifi. 

I'd look into seeing if there's a cheaper plan around that 200-300mbps for your device. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
JoJo27
Guide

(The DOCSIS Channels info without check marks are what my current router is according to Comcast
Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What package plan do you pay for from CC? 

Download speeds: up to 600 Mbps
Upload speeds: up to 20 Mbps Would be well compatible if the ISP speed package was at this level or under. 

However you'll need to check the ISPs current supported cable modem list to see if it's supported on there network. Its up to ISP to support the various cable modem brands and models. As time goes on though, they my decide to cut off support for older modems. The C6300 came out in 2014. So getting older for the model modem. Something to check with the ISP. 

Has the modem been working with this ISP since you've had it? 

Message 3 of 11
JoJo27
Guide

The email says:
Your current device can't keep up with the latest speeds
We aren't really having problems. Lag once in awhile. But we're using tvs, smartphones, laptops and desktops without major problems.

"Please note that if you do not swap your Internet equipment, you will not be taking full advantage of the download speeds your Internet plan offers."

It says since we upgraded our internet speed to the speed I already mentioned ("up tp 600...") our equipment can't keep up with the latest internet speeds available to us.
Message 4 of 11
JoJo27
Guide

It sounds like you're saying our device should be able to keep up despite what CC claims. When my ISP no longer supports my device, will I then experience a disruption in my service? Is that how I know? The netgear website says my model is supported by CC, or works with it
Message 5 of 11
JoJo27
Guide

Just to clarify, my internet plan with CC IS
"Downloads up to 600
Uploads up to 20"
Not my device (listed in the subject)
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If you look at the spec sheet for this modem it supports up to 600Mbps on the down. 

Just seems like they are pushing you. 

Whats the link show for the supported modem models? 

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

What actual speeds do you pay for? 

Reason I ask is that the C6300 when it came out was rated "up to 600mbps". That changes though based on the isp. That's just its max capability that an ISP "could" hit. 

More ISP have been requiring docsis 3.1 devices for lower speed tiers. Cox for example has been requiring docsis 3.1 for speeds over 250mbps for a while now. If xfinity changed they're requirements, then it might not support your speeds. 

If you're only paying for 200mbps, then you should be fine. 

If you're actually paying for 600mbps, its doubtful that your device will get that anymore. The 369mbps you listed, is probably more accurate to what it could hit. 

But if you're not using wired device, its pointless to pay for anyway as that router is only going to hit 250-350mbps over 5ghz anyway. 

so what actual speeds do you pay for? 

Are you wanting faster speeds or more capability?

Message 8 of 11
JoJo27
Guide

Thanks for your reply. I'm paying for "blast internet," which says it is "up to 600 Mbps" download and "up to 20 mbps" upload speeds. That is all for wired I believe. But we use wifi only. It was comcast that said our device only goes up to 369 mbps wired. You're making me think we're overpaying for internet. Lol. We may even use 2.4, not 5.0ghz because we want the signal to travel further. But our videos don't take forever to load, nor websites except on occasion. What do you think?
Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would test your modem with a wired PC and see if your getting the upgraded speeds. Since they upgraded you and I presume for free, I would power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON. Use a wired PC and Ooklas installable speed test app on a PC and see what you find. If your getting 600 on the down then you could keep the modem going until such time as your ISP requires you to get something else. 

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

The 369mbps is more realistic for that device on comcast. You might hit a bit faster but you don't really use it over wifi. 

I'd look into seeing if there's a cheaper plan around that 200-300mbps for your device. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7