Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 Reboot Issues

PowderyBeef
Follower

CAX80 Reboot Issues

I was just wondering if anyone had issues with the CAX80 rebooting constantly when experiencing a carrier outage? I have Spectrum in central Florida, and due to storms and infrustructure in the area, we have occasional internet outages (maybe 1-2 a month). My main issue is that when the internet goes down, the CAX80 basically gets stuck in a boot loop until the Spectrum service is back up. Typically this wouldn't be an issue if it were just a modem, but since this is a router also it kills my home networking, so I can't watch any local media from any of my televisions unless I remove the network storage from the router and plug it directly into my set-top box.  

On top of that, if the service is out for more than about a half hour, I have to run through the Nighthawk app setup again before I can use the internet. 

Is this a common issue? Are there settings to mitigate this? I searched for about 45 minutes in both the app and web interface and couldn't find anything. 

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80 Reboot Issues

Yes, one thing that the CAX80 does is to reboot itself if the incoming signal is dropped from the ISP service box. I have asked about this and seems to be appart of the design. Not sure why they have to reboot the entire system. Ya think they could separate the modem from the router portion. I guess they can't. Smiley Frustrated

The networking and router portion of the CAX should remain intact and working after the modem gets a signal from the ISP and it comes online again.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7