Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 setup question

My_Username
Guide

CAX80 setup question

I am running a CAX80. My network has an Ethernet wired printer that I would like to make accessible to computers on my desk network.

I can check the box that allows guest machines to see devices on my network. That works but circumvents the primary reason for running a guest network.

Some routers have the means to set up exceptions or pre-approvals on the guest network but this does not.

Is there any way that port forwarding or triggering can be used to facilitate this? I am not familiar with these features and this seems as good a place as any to ask. My goal is to have the guest machine able to print but not see the rest of my devices. I am ok with setup on a case by case basis, reserved addresses and the like if needed.

Thanks in adv

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You want computers on the "desk" network be able to use the printer? Do you mean Guest network or LAN private network? 

The printer would have to be placed in the Guest Network to have those devices have access. 

Some routers have an option to allow guest network access to the LAN side. IF this isnt' seen on the CAX80 then this isn't supported. 

Message 2 of 4
My_Username
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You want computers on the "desk" network be able to use the printer? Do you mean Guest network or LAN private network? 

The printer would have to be placed in the Guest Network to have those devices have access. 

Some routers have an option to allow guest network access to the LAN side. IF this isnt' seen on the CAX80 then this isn't supported. 

That should have been "Guest", not "Desk". I want to grant guests access to my private LAN printer without providing visibility of my entire private LAN. This router lacks a specific ability to configure exceptions to guest rules. The question was whether there was some way to configure that exception with port forwarding or triggering.

In the meantime I'll try thr printer on the USB port and see who has visibility.

Message 3 of 4
My_Username
Guide

In case anyone else is looking for a similar solution - it looks like a printer connection to the router via USB will serve the guest network.

You do not need to allow guest machines to access private LAN hardware.

You do need to install a USB printer driver on all guest machines of concern. You also need to install the Netgear/Readyshare USB manager on those machines. It appears the USB manager intercepts USB data and squirts it out 802.11 to the USB port on the router.

I still have the machines on the private LAN talking to the printer via Ethernet. This is cleaner and all functionality is preserved. The USB solution does keep my private data off my wife's work from home machine however.

I would still appreciate knowing whether port forwarding or triggering could be used to feed printer data across the Guest barrier. If anyone knows - I'm still listening.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7