Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM2000: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP address

AT1234
Follower

CM2000: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP address

Modem shows solid white lights across the board except for blinking blue/white Multi Gig light (color is dependent on whether it's connected to my computer or router), but will not provide internet connection either directly to my computer or to the router. When I went into network properties and hit diagnose, I got "Ethernet does not have a valid IP address." During start-up of the modem (I recycled power quite a few times), when looking at details, it briefly shows the proper IP and gateway before that information is lost again. I have used multiple external cables, and the ISP-provided modem/router work fine, so I have no reason to suspect interior cables. However, as the IP address can't be identified, I can't log into the modem to view the logs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
Kitsap
Master

Re: CM2000: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP address

@AT1234 wrote:

Modem shows solid white lights across the board except for blinking blue/white Multi Gig light (color is dependent on whether it's connected to my computer or router), but will not provide internet connection either directly to my computer or to the router. When I went into network properties and hit diagnose, I got "Ethernet does not have a valid IP address." During start-up of the modem (I recycled power quite a few times), when looking at details, it briefly shows the proper IP and gateway before that information is lost again. I have used multiple external cables, and the ISP-provided modem/router work fine, so I have no reason to suspect interior cables. However, as the IP address can't be identified, I can't log into the modem to view the logs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you activated your CM2000 with your ISP?

If yes, power down your CM2000 by pulling the power cord.  Disconnect the Ethernet cord from the output port.  Wait a minute and power up your CM2000.  Give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  One of the last indicators to illuminate should be the one that indicates the internet connection.  Power down your computer and pull the power cord.  Connect an Ethernet cable between the modem and your computer and boot the computer.  Give the computer plenty of time to boot and stabilize. 

You should be able to log in to the modem user interface at 192.168.100.1.  This IP address is listed on the label on the bottom of your modem.  If you have not logged in to the interface before, check the user's manual for the default password.

Your computer should have an IP address from your ISP and access to the internet.  If not, time to suspect the Ethernet cable that was previously working fine.

What router, brand and model number are you connecting downstream of the modem?

If you have internet access from your computer, repeat the complete network startup sequence above except connect your router instead of the computer.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7