Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM2000 modem connections

SDTN
Aspirant

CM2000 modem connections

A newbie question, I recently installed a CM2000 modem to take advantage of xfinity 1.2 Gbps plan. I am only achieving 900Mbps when connecting the modem directly to my PC. My newbie question: Should the multigig led on the modem be blue if xfinity is sending 1.2 Gbps? I know I won't see 1,2 Gbps on my pc as the network adapter is 10/10/1000 Mbps. 

My current router is a NightHawk x10 R9000. What router with a 2.5 multigig port would be recommended that is comparable?  Is there any way to configure the R9000 to achieve better than the 1 Gbps?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: CM2000 modem connections

@SDTN wrote:

Many thanks for the info on the CM2000 modem. another question, If I connect the 2.5 multigig port on the modem to the 10 gig port on the R9000 router will this act like a multigig connection? Yes, and the LED indicator will turn from white to blue.  The limiting hardware will be the 2.5 Gbps port on the modem.  so it would pass the 1.2Gbps from ISP to the router. I can then use lan aggregation from router to a PC dual port PCI card.  In theory it should.  Link Aggregation from Netgear may or may not play nice with Link Aggregation on whatever brand of network interface card you choose.  I have the Nighthawk mobile application installed on a Samsung tablet.  Connected to the router, the internal throughput test measures between the modem and the router.  No computer connection needed. 

not sure I want to go this route or just upgrade my router. Thanks again

I have to ask the question.  What activity are you using your internet connection (modem, router, computer) for that comes close to saturating a 1 Gbps throughput.  In real life, the only way your will be able to tell the difference between 940 Gbps and 1200 Gbps is with a throughput capacity test application.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@SDTN wrote:

A newbie question, I recently installed a CM2000 modem to take advantage of xfinity 1.2 Gbps plan. I am only achieving 900Mbps when connecting the modem directly to my PC. My newbie question: Should the multigig led on the modem be blue if xfinity is sending 1.2 Gbps? I know I won't see 1,2 Gbps on my pc as the network adapter is 10/10/1000 Mbps. 

My current router is a NightHawk x10 R9000. What router with a 2.5 multigig port would be recommended that is comparable?  Is there any way to configure the R9000 to achieve better than the 1 Gbps?

Thanks for any help.

No, the multigig LED on the modem only shows blue when the output of your modem is connected to a device that can receive multigig throughput.  As long as your R9000 is connected to your modem through the 1 Gbps WAN port, the modem multigig LED will remain white.

The R9000 also has an SFP WAN input rated at 10 Gbps.  You can get an SFP/RJ45 adapter and a Cat 6a Ethernet cable to connect your R9000 to your CM2000.  From Amazon https://a.co/d/iX5LOAG and https://a.co/d/4rGg5lV.  They work fine together with the R9000

😊.

Regardless of what you do to soup up the input to your R9000 it is equipped with 1 Gbps LAN ports and in real life the most they can transfer out is around 940 Mbps.

See attached.

Message 2 of 6
SDTN
Aspirant

Many thanks for the info on the CM2000 modem. another question, If I connect the 2.5 multigig port on the modem to the 10 gig port on the R9000 router will this act like a multigig connection? so it would pass the 1.2Gbps from ISP to the router. I can then use lan aggregation from router to a PC dual port PCI card.

Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@SDTN wrote:

Many thanks for the info on the CM2000 modem. another question, If I connect the 2.5 multigig port on the modem to the 10 gig port on the R9000 router will this act like a multigig connection? Yes, and the LED indicator will turn from white to blue.  The limiting hardware will be the 2.5 Gbps port on the modem.  so it would pass the 1.2Gbps from ISP to the router. I can then use lan aggregation from router to a PC dual port PCI card.  In theory it should.  Link Aggregation from Netgear may or may not play nice with Link Aggregation on whatever brand of network interface card you choose.  I have the Nighthawk mobile application installed on a Samsung tablet.  Connected to the router, the internal throughput test measures between the modem and the router.  No computer connection needed. 

I have to ask the question.  What activity are you using your internet connection (modem, router, computer) for that comes close to saturating a 1 Gbps throughput.  In real life, the only way your will be able to tell the difference between 940 Gbps and 1200 Gbps is with a throughput capacity test application.

Message 4 of 6
SDTN
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I am using Xfinity ISP. I got a promotional deal1(1yr free upgrade from 800Mbps) to the 1.2Gbps plan. IT is overprovisioned at around 1450Mbps. I I installed the CM2000 with 2.5 Gig port. I decided to add a 2.5 gig PCIe card to my PC, rather than attempting Link aggregation. So with out the router restriction to 1.0 Gbps, I am getting 1450Mbps download an 41Mbps up load, through the router,  Nighthawk R9000, I get 900mps. So thinking if I upgrade my router I could get around 1300Mbps, and better WIFI. I know not significant differences in internet speed, but just playing around.

Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@SDTN wrote:

Thank you for your help. I am using Xfinity ISP. I got a promotional deal1(1yr free upgrade from 800Mbps) to the 1.2Gbps plan. IT is overprovisioned at around 1450Mbps. I I installed the CM2000 with 2.5 Gig port. I decided to add a 2.5 gig PCIe card to my PC, rather than attempting Link aggregation. So with out the router restriction to 1.0 Gbps, I am getting 1450Mbps download an 41Mbps up load, through the router,  Nighthawk R9000, I get 900mps. So thinking if I upgrade my router I could get around 1300Mbps, and better WIFI. I know not significant differences in internet speed, but just playing around.

Thank you for the reply.  It helps to understand where you are at and where you are headed.  Wise move to avoid link aggregation.  It was great in theory, but reality and various interpretations by the different manufacturers caused problems.

The R9000 design is getting a little long in the tooth.  In my opinion, it is not ready to be put out to pasture yet.  Choose a replacement router carefully.  You can get improved Ethernet throughput.  Improved Wi-Fi is going to be incrementally small by comparison and depends a great deal on the client device you are connecting from.  The R9000 is a single point transmitter source.  There are some new mesh systems to do improve coverage.  Here is a good reference for helping to understand the variables.  They do a good job of cutting through marketing hype.

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7