Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM2050V XFinity Activation Issue

Seebear
Initiate

CM2050V XFinity Activation Issue

XFinity emailed me and told me that the modem I was using didn't fully support my internet speed, they gave me a list of modems that would and I selected the CM2050V.  I put it in place of my old modem, went through the activation process, they told me that it was activated, and the rep said they could see it on their end and it appeared to be online and functional. They were able to remotely reboot it.  However it never allowed me to connect to the internet, either through a router or when directly attached to a computer.  The rep suggested I contact Netgear before scheduling someone to come out because there might be some "configuration" required.  Sounded wrong to me, but thought I'd see if anyone else has encountered such a thing.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

@Seebear wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I plugged it back in, ran the XFinitiy activation on it again so I could try the suggestions and get the information from it, but this time it came right up and worked fine, so I think the issue may have been with XFinity's provisioning last night.  Thank you all for your advice.

Glad you got it working.  I have had my C2050V in service for 16+ months and it has been a solid performer.

Recommend you mark this thread as resolved so others can benefit from your experience.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What speed up and down are you paying for?

The CM supports up to 2.5Gb speeds.

What FW is loaded on the modem?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page when connected to isp line..
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP  is recommended. 
What is the brand and model of the host wifi router connected to the modem?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 2 of 5
Kitsap
Master

Does the phone part work?

Once the modem is activated, the startup sequence for the remainder of your LAN is important.

Power down the modem, pull the power cord, and disconnect the Ethernet cable.

Power down your computer.

Power up the modem and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  One of the last indicators to illuminate will be the one showing internet access.  If you have the internet access indicator illuminated, do the phone indicators illuminate?  Does the phone work?

Connect your computer direct to the modem via an Ethernet cable.  Boot up your computer and give it plenty of time to obtain an IP address from Xfinity.  It could take several minutes being the first time and in this configuration.  Note the network icon on your computer and internet connection status.

Once the computer is directly connected to the internet modem with internet access, this is a good time to test your throughput capacity.  Recommend you install the native Ookla application for your computer.  This keeps the web browsers out of the mix.

Message 3 of 5
Seebear
Initiate

Thanks for the suggestions.  I plugged it back in, ran the XFinitiy activation on it again so I could try the suggestions and get the information from it, but this time it came right up and worked fine, so I think the issue may have been with XFinity's provisioning last night.  Thank you all for your advice.

Message 4 of 5
Kitsap
Master

@Seebear wrote:

Glad you got it working.  I have had my C2050V in service for 16+ months and it has been a solid performer.

Recommend you mark this thread as resolved so others can benefit from your experience.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7