Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM3000 and Xfinity Gigabit x2

Labrat3
Star

I installed my CM3000 last night without any issue and was easily able to activate from within the XFinity app.  I upgraded my XFinity plan from 1200/40 to 2000/200 and ran into some issues that were rectified by going into the XFinity app support where the bot recognized that when the speed was upgraded the system reverted me back to my old router. The bot was able to reactivate my CM3000 and deactivate the CM2000 I had been using and things quickly got back to working order. 

I have my CM3000 plugged into my Netgear RBE972S WiFi 7 router and was able to run a speed test from the Orbi app. 

Prior to CM3000 and service upgrade (1200/40): Ping: 13,  DL: 1456.81 UL: 44.68 (pretty typical of prior testing over last several months)

After CM3000 but prior to service upgrade (1200/40): Ping: 8 DL: 1465.58 UL 43.88

After CM000 and after service upgrade (2000/200): Ping: 10 DL: 2390.02 UL 244.06

Looking at my test history: Pings prior to upgrade were consistently 12-16ms 

Since upgrading to CM3000 pings have been 8-10ms

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Labrat3
Star

I feel like providing the speed results reported by my Orbi router is a more accurate representation of what XFinity is delivering to my house and what the modem is delivering to my router.  Running the speed test from my Orbi router rather than my computer or iPhone avoids any loss of speed associated with the WiFi connection.  The on-board Orbi speedtest  eliminates any losses that occur from the router to my device so should be a more accurate representation of what Xfinity is providing to my house. 

In contrast, running speedtest.xfinity.com from a device such as my computer (using WiFi 6), my iPhone (using WiFi6E), or a not yet purchased WiFi7 device will give different results depending on the WiFi Protocol, other WiFi traffic, and where the device is located in my house in relation to my router. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: CM3000 and Xfinity Gigabit x2

sounds like a solid upgrade!

I've got a pretty similar setup (other than I'm on the 1.2/200 plan) and love it. 

Message 2 of 4
Labrat3
Star

I feel like providing the speed results reported by my Orbi router is a more accurate representation of what XFinity is delivering to my house and what the modem is delivering to my router.  Running the speed test from my Orbi router rather than my computer or iPhone avoids any loss of speed associated with the WiFi connection.  The on-board Orbi speedtest  eliminates any losses that occur from the router to my device so should be a more accurate representation of what Xfinity is providing to my house. 

In contrast, running speedtest.xfinity.com from a device such as my computer (using WiFi 6), my iPhone (using WiFi6E), or a not yet purchased WiFi7 device will give different results depending on the WiFi Protocol, other WiFi traffic, and where the device is located in my house in relation to my router. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: CM3000 and Xfinity Gigabit x2

I've only run into issues with the built-in test when it selects a server that can't max out the speed. It used to be a bigger issue as not all test servers were maxing out gigabit. We're not seeing as much of an issue with that anymore. Maybe something changed in the backend with the Ookla-netgear relationship or coding for it. 

It is still one of the first things I recommend when someone is reporting lowered speed to check an actual hardwired pc/laptop but its not as common of an issue anymore. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7