Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM700 flashing Ethernet light

Lothurr
Aspirant

CM700 flashing Ethernet light

I’m having issues with my cm700 and connections to my ISP. My isp (mediacom) says they can see that the line is live to the house. Here’s where it gets odd. I unplug the co-ax and connect to the modems web gui after a reboot and it stays stable until I reboot it again (10min tested stable). I plug the coax back in (after I had already unplugged it), plugged power back in, plugged the Ethernet in and I can get maybe 15 pings on it, and can get to the web gui for maybe 10seconds. Then after that 10seconds, bam, the ping dies, I can’t get in the gui anymore, my computer says it’s connected but the Ethernet light starts flashing green at a consistent speed. I unplug the co-ax and then it starts back up on the ping, I can get into the gui, and the Ethernet light is solid green.
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Lothurr
Aspirant

the ISP did not provision the modem correctly 😐 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the user manual say about LED behaviors? 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 
What is the brand and model of the host wifi router connected to the modem?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 5
Lothurr
Aspirant

Good morning,

The ISP is checking it out today for the signal quality. they used good coax to the modem. I removed any amplifiers and splitters which still did it. no kinks or damages. did the modem power off for 1min (actually let it sit 5min to see if it helped dissipate the capacitor charge in the modem). will keep you posted, i will get the modem connection status and event log later today after work. the connection was saying in progress. and there was a CVA failure in the event log. 

Message 3 of 5
Lothurr
Aspirant

the ISP did not provision the modem correctly 😐 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they figured it out. 

Enjoy. 

Message 5 of 5