Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Connect to default gateway with C6300 after factory reset

Neale69
Aspirant

Cannot Connect to default gateway with C6300 after factory reset

Ive done a lot of searching around on this forum and online, but I cannot find a solution.

I was port forwarding on my modem+router c6300, connecting through the address 192.168.0.1. I saved my rules and left it. Since then, i cannot reconnect to the address, it just simply loads for a millisecond and acts like it never even queried it.

I've tried resetting to factory settings, and then i just changed my wifi setting back via Netgear Genie. I've tried connecting through 192.168.1.1, as well as 192.168.100.1. Both give the same result, just not even getting to the login screen.

I wanted to load firmware, but as some forums have said, it goes through the ISP, and so i contacted spectrum, and they said they couldnt do anything with it since its a third party modem.

I've tried different browsers, different computers, different everything. Internet connection seems perfectly fine, but I cannot log in to change my port forwarding or any other advanced settings. Any other basic settings, im able to change in netgear genie.

If any other information is needed to help, I'll gladly provide. Thank you for reading

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot Connect to default gateway with C6300 after factory reset

tftp won't work on that device. 

I don't want to sound stupid since you've already tried a lot but 3 things to try. 

1. more than 1 users I've seen factory reset incorrectly. Make sure to push and hold while powered on for up to 15 seconds. The lights should change. 

2. You can always try a 30-30-30 reset. Push and hold reset while powered on for 30 seconds, unplug it while still holding reset for 30 seconds, plug it back in while still holding reset for 30 seconds

3. Try the reset option from #1 but disconnect the coax from the modem. 

Again, you might have tried these but always worth a shot. 

Also, the C6300 is on spectrums minimally approved list. Not sure what speeds you're paying for but it might be getting close to start checking into an upgrade to a docsis 3.1 device if the speeds you pay for are higher than that 300mbps. An idea is that spectrum might still be giving users modems without charging a fee. If they are, they tend to be the multi-gig modems. Then you'd only need a router. Might be a pretty solid performance upgrade

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Neale69
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I tried both suggestions, using the ipv6 address wrapped in brackets, as well as appending :80 to the address, and both give the same results as trying to query the regular ipv4 address.

To elaborate on what it does, it does exactly that on firefox, it shows a loading on the tab for a minuscule amount of time, then if im on a new tab, it keeps the address there, but if I'm on another site already, it just poofs my default gateway address out of the bar, and replaces it with the address im currently at.

Ive tried it on multiple browsers again, but its worth noting that while trying on Edge, it does give give me the error of "This page isn't working right now. 192.169.0.1 gave an invalid response".

Im attaching a gif below of me trying on Edge, showing the network tab for any other information that could help, but nothing comes back with the response.

Message 2 of 5
Neale69
Aspirant

Alright, I walked through the steps recommended, and nothing has really changed. I almost had a moment after checking the network request through fiddler, as tells me the request returns a 401 Unauthorized, and realized the normal alert/input box for the username and password would usually appear.

I've compiled a beautiful collage into one picture in paint, since only one attachment is allowed.

First i showed the request as it shows in the Firefox dev network tab, giving the INVALID_HEADER_VALUE error, and beside it is the headers tab for the request, along with the request and response for it (which show as blank).

Then going into Fiddler, i requested and show the Request/Response Headers there, showing a 401 response.

At the bottom, I did the same thing as your previous screenshot, as I installed Chrome completely fresh, went to about:blank, and then went to 192.168.0.1, showing the network tab with the same settings as suggested. Response headers is empty, request headers the same as shown in Firefox, with nothing in the console, other than that it navigated to the error page for Chrome.

If there is any way to get the firmware, I'm open to trying TFTP, but I currently dont have a firmware backup myself. Everything I've found online, including the model's download page, say that firmware updates come directly from the ISP, but Spectrum basically told me they couldnt do anything cause its a third party modem, and not theirs. Im skeptical of this, so maybe I should just yell at them a little bit, and tell them to reactivate my modem, and hopefully the firmware will update?

(The picture is being attached as a file as well, since the image on the post itself is pretty awful)

network troubleshooting.png

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

tftp won't work on that device. 

I don't want to sound stupid since you've already tried a lot but 3 things to try. 

1. more than 1 users I've seen factory reset incorrectly. Make sure to push and hold while powered on for up to 15 seconds. The lights should change. 

2. You can always try a 30-30-30 reset. Push and hold reset while powered on for 30 seconds, unplug it while still holding reset for 30 seconds, plug it back in while still holding reset for 30 seconds

3. Try the reset option from #1 but disconnect the coax from the modem. 

Again, you might have tried these but always worth a shot. 

Also, the C6300 is on spectrums minimally approved list. Not sure what speeds you're paying for but it might be getting close to start checking into an upgrade to a docsis 3.1 device if the speeds you pay for are higher than that 300mbps. An idea is that spectrum might still be giving users modems without charging a fee. If they are, they tend to be the multi-gig modems. Then you'd only need a router. Might be a pretty solid performance upgrade

Message 4 of 5
Neale69
Aspirant

Sorry its been a bit since my last reply, I plan on trying the multiple resets, but its probably correct that I may need a new modem router, whether through spectrum or not (i hear their system is terrible so i probably should just buy another myself).

Ill consider this as the solution, as nothing seems to be working at all, and the modem may just be screwed firmware-wise, and nothing can really be done. If the multiple resets work for me when i get around to it, ill come back and update it here for people who may have the issue in the future.

Thank you for the time and energy trying to help though!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7