Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Chronic Connection Issues with Nighthawk X4S AC3200

mtrotman
Guide

Chronic Connection Issues with Nighthawk X4S AC3200

I've totally given up trying to get this router/modem to work properly and consistently with my environment. Perhaps if one has a very simple home network with a computer or two it may be fine, but if you have multiple computers, printers, light bulbs, switches, Amazon echo, Apple TV, etc. - This modem doesn't work properly.  

Prior to acquiring the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S I was using a Apple Time Capsule router with no issues other than some weak signals to my outdoor security cameras. I was excited about test driving the Nighthawk, because it's billed as being faster with stronger signals. The issue with the Nighthawk is that it constantly looses connectivity with smart devices regardless of signal strength. Printers will work one minute, and disappear the next. Networked speakers will drop off the network in the middle of playing music. Wemo switches will work today, but be gone off the network tomorrow. I never know when I can reach a networked device or not.

I have had to spend several hours over the last several days with technical support. They replaced the original router/modem with a new one, and the new one performed more poorly than the first. I called tech support again today, and this time they tried to sell me a support package for $169.00 - talk about tone deaf. I can't get their $400.00 router to work in my environment, even with a replacement, and the solution is to give them more money?

I'm hopeful someone in the community can help me resolve this.  

Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello mtrotman

Have you tried to change the wireless channel of the wireless or even try to reserve the IP address of those devices to make sure its not a IP address conflict issue that is happening?

https://kb.netgear.com/25182/Resolving-poor-5GHz-wireless-range-signal-from-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
mtrotman
Guide

I’ve change the channel many times. When I asked the Netgear tech about reserving the IP address she told me that was not a viable solution. If you’re telling me otherwise, I’ll be glad to give it a try. I really want this modem to work.

Message 3 of 6
mtrotman
Guide

Okay, so I went through the tedious process of reserving an IP address for every device connected to the network.  This did absolutely NOTHING to solve the problem.  I can't even print.  

Message 4 of 6
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Can you please upload Event logs, network logs, attached devices logs here?

Can you please upload DOCSIS power table?

are you loosing WIFI connectivity or INTERNET connectivity?

who is your ISP to which this C7800 is connected to ?

Is it running 3.1.36 FW?

Message 5 of 6
mtrotman
Guide

I fixed this problem by unchecking the box for ENABLE Airtime Fairness

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation