Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cm600 - firmware update

Mongo-xbl
Aspirant

Cm600 - firmware update

How do I update the firmware when an update is available? Talking to Comcast they are saying an upgrade to docsis 3.1 is coming at the end of the month.
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Sparky78
Guide

@ArtemasFirmware updates for cable modems are pushed out by the ISPs.  Your modem will update the firmware when it is released by Comcast/TimeWarnerCable/Spectrum etc., who will get it from Netgear and release it throught their network to the compatible cable modems.  

There is no firmware download for the consumer to update the CM600 themselves.  Best advice is to contact your ISP and ask them to contact Netgear regarding the firmware update.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
Sparky78
Guide

Dear Netgear,

I would also like to know about status of firmware update for CM600 cable modem.  Specifically there is mention of security vulnerability which apparently has been fixed in a firmware update last December.  I wonder when this firmware update will be released to the ISPs so they can push it out to the modems.  I just spoke with my ISP, Time Warner Cable (TWC), and they say Netgear has not provided a firmware update yet.  Identical topic from 5 months ago is discussed here.  Can we have update on this?

For reference: current firmware versions released to ISPs is listed here.

@Mongo-xbl: Firmware updates for cable modems are pushed out by the ISPs.  Your modem will update the firmware when it is released by Comcast (who in turn will get it from Netgear).

Thanks,

Sparky78

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 2 of 14
Mongo-xbl
Aspirant

Thank you @Sparky78. I'm new to cable modems, this answers my question and I didn't know about the security patch.

Should I accept your answer as a solution or should I keep it open until we have an answer?
Message 3 of 14
Sparky78
Guide

@Mongo-xbl, your welcome.  I'm glad to help resolve your initial question.

Please keep this topic open until we have direct response from Netgear about status of CM600 firmware update to fix the security vulnerability.  I hope it will be coming soon!  Let's see what Netgear can tell us 🙂

Message 4 of 14
Sparky78
Guide

Dear Netgear, please respond to this thread.  Even basic information is appreciated to know you read this message and let people know what is happening.  Thank you!

Message 5 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

We do have a firmware to fix these issues but it is in the approval process by the ISP and we do not have a ETA when they will release the firmware.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 14
Sparky78
Guide

Thanks for the reply, DarrenM.  I understand it's up to the ISP to release the firmware to upgrade the modems.

I note your response is unchanged from 5 months ago so it looks like testing has stalled at the ISPs...at least some of them.  According to the firmware release page Comcast is using v1.01.09, Time Warner Cable v1.01.05 and other ISPs v1.01.06.

The weird thing is Time Warner Cable tell me they haven't received any firmware from Netgear for testing...I will follow-up with them once more!

Message 7 of 14
mediatrek
Virtuoso

I was told the same by a high level tech agent just two weeks ago that nothing has been given to them from Netgear for testing at TWC / Spectrum. As I have done for TWC in the past, techs have pushed out beta firmware to my past modem(s) for testing, and the tech told me he would love to push out even test firmware, but he has nothing to test from Netgear.

#NetgearFailsAgain

Message 8 of 14
mediatrek
Virtuoso

@Mongo-xbl wrote:
How do I update the firmware when an update is available? Talking to Comcast they are saying an upgrade to docsis 3.1 is coming at the end of the month.

@Mongo-xbl That is B.S. from Comcast you are getting. The CM600 is powered by the Broadcom BCM3384 chip, which does not support DOCSIS 3.1. The Netgear CM1000 has been under testing by some ISP's is a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.

Message 9 of 14
Sparky78
Guide

@DarrenM, I chat to TWC again today, and consistent to what they've told me previously, and what other members here are saying, they haven't received any firmware update for CM600 for testing.

I asked them "Should I contact Netgear about this again?" and their reply was:

"Yes, please do as we did not receive any update on this. If We had received it we would have updated it."

I might not be talking with a high ranking technical support person that has detailed and updated information on this matter...but in any case the fact this remains unresolved after 8 months of the fix being available suggests some follow-up might be in order.

Can you personally check-in with TWC?  If not, can you send me a private message of the TWC contact who could confirm they have the firmware update?  In that case the least we can do is help to test it!

Thanks!

Message 10 of 14
Artemas
Aspirant

OMG! you make this so difficult!

HOW DO I UPDATE MY CM600 FIRMWARE. Its just that easy of a question.

You had a previous post on this and then closed it with no link to the firmware!

Please explain (in 5th grade language) how to get the firmware update 1.3.0.12 and how to update it to the CM600

Thanks!

Message 11 of 14
Artemas
Aspirant

I already checked the product drilldown and downloads area of support. It says no firmware info available. So where is the firmware downlaod at for the specified firmware above?

Message 12 of 14
Sparky78
Guide

@ArtemasFirmware updates for cable modems are pushed out by the ISPs.  Your modem will update the firmware when it is released by Comcast/TimeWarnerCable/Spectrum etc., who will get it from Netgear and release it throught their network to the compatible cable modems.  

There is no firmware download for the consumer to update the CM600 themselves.  Best advice is to contact your ISP and ask them to contact Netgear regarding the firmware update.

Message 13 of 14
pete_a
Initiate

I've called TW/Spectrum and they say they do not upgrade firmware of user owned equipment. They told me you get what's out of the box, that's it. They are aware that there is no way for the user to upgrade as well. Solution rent a modem from them. 

Also good luck getting provisined for more than 4 upstream channels.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7