Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Costco CAX30 Router

DannyS22
Guide

Costco CAX30 Router

I got an email stating that my CAX30 router might have a problem connecting to the internet. I checked and had my traffic meter already cleared. I'm guessing that with that, I'm good. I have not had any problems connecting to my ISP.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

Message 1 of 48

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 48

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Then you should be good and I wouldn't worry about it. 

Message 2 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

This is going to sound dumb but, I seemed to have lost my 5Mzh Wifi. I've lost it on my Android phone and my AC1200 USB 3.0. I see and can connect to my 5Mzh guest connection, but the regular 5Mzh doesn't show up. I've had absolutely no issues from date of purchase to the last week. 

Ideas????

Thanks for the help.

Danny

Message 3 of 48
plemans
Guru

did you try a factory reset? 
Or try downgrading the firmware on the router?

Message 4 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

I have not. I will do that now. When I first got the router someone here suggested to change the channels. I need to go back and find that reply to double-check my settings.

THANKS for the reply and help.

Danny

Message 5 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

No firmware update available. A couple of things I noted; Smart Connect is ENABLE, Enable Wireless Gateway Radio Fragmentation Length is at max 2346, CTS/RTS Threshold 2347. I don't know if those things matter. I changed the 5.0Ghz channel from 48 to 36. I did a REBOOT from the web access. Now I can't access the router from the web or the app even though I have internet access (as I'm typing this). 

I still don't show 5.0Ghz network access, only the guest network on 5Ghz that are available either on my Android or the PC. 

I guess my next option is to push the reset on the back of the router and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help

Danny

Message 6 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

I did a router reset and now all my wifi networks show up as available. So I see how this works for now,

I REALLY APPRECIATE your help. Thank you

Danny

Message 7 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Curious what ISP are you with and what FW is currently loaded on the CAX30? 

@DannyS22 wrote:

I did a router reset and now all my wifi networks show up as available. So I see how this works for now,

I REALLY APPRECIATE your help. Thank you

Danny

Message 8 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

I push the reset button on the back of the router. I assume it's a factory reset.

ISP: Xfinity Cable Gigabit Service

Hardware Version 1.01

Firmware Version V2.1.3.10

Cable Firmware Version V1.04.10

Thanks for your help.

Danny

Message 9 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. 

Message 10 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

Well.... Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in. I had the problem of not connecting to my 5G wifi again today. We had 2 power outages last night. Today I had to power off/power on the router in order to connect to the 5G network. No problems with the 2.4 wifi network. All of those devices were operating and I could connect my phone to it.

Any connection due to the power outages?

THANKS again for the help.

Danny

Message 11 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Very possible. 

Message 12 of 48
MrPerson
Aspirant

Go to this page and download the firemware:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065403/CAX30-Firmware-Version-1-4-11-2

Once you do, use 192.168.1.1 to login to the router, go to Advanced->Administration->Router Updage

upload the .bin file there, and update. Click okay when it tells you it's an older version.

I had this exact issue, it looks like the V2.1.x firmware is having issues and doesn't appear to even be available anymore - it looks like Netgear pulled it do to the bugs. I think if you downgrade, the problems should be solved. I also have the exact same Costco CAX30 unit and my 5G kept going out, this seems to be working so far!

Message 13 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

THANKS for the reply and help. Interesting that improved firmware sometimes isn't. 🙂

I'll will do it and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

Danny

Message 14 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

Ooooooooooooo I think that was a mistake. My 5G speeds are crap. My phone used to have Dload of over 500Mbps and now 150. My PC used to be 480Mbps now 110 to 130Mbps. 

I had firmware V2.1.3.10, now V1.4.11.2

Probably no way to go back so I can get the hgih speeds again???????????

Danny

Message 15 of 48
firetruck
Aspirant

my CAX30 has exact same issue, 5GHz keeps going out

not 100% positive, but I think I noticed that it goes back on when I log into admin console via 2.4GHz and open Wireless settings

Message 16 of 48
MrPerson
Aspirant

I'm not sure why that would be, but downgrading the firmware shouldn't be the cause for that since that's the same firmware that would have been on your router a few months ago.

The reason you can't go back to the 2.1.3.10 firmware is because it was pulled and the reason for that was that it was causing issues, so it's not a mistake to revert to an older firmware. I had issues with intermittent 5G until I rolled back to 1.4.11.2 and have been getting roughly 500Mbps on it with no interruptions ever since. The only other thing that I can suggest is doing a factory reset on the router, or at least try restarting it again. There may also be settings you want to check to see if anything has changed, such as the SSID channel being used. Netgear has an app called NETGEAR WiFi Analytics. If you select the fourth icon from the left on the bottom (it looks like a radiating circle) it will tell you which channels are being used by other networks around you. If you live near many others, like in an apartment) there's a chance that too many other users on the same channel could affect your internet, so you can try a different channel.

Message 17 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

Well my stupid thought process was it was working before and now not so much. BUT, here's what I've done; hard reset, reset my channels as follows, 2.4 11, 5G 48. Powered off and back on and my speeds apparently are back. 630Mbps on my Samsung Android, 560Mbps on my Samsung Tablet and 575-610Mbps on my USB WiFi PC desktop.

Right now as I write this I'm a happy camper again.

Thanks for the reply and help

Danny

Message 18 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru
DannyS22
Guide

I filled out the beta test request and gave not received a link for the firmware. My router is getting worse. I keeping having to reset for my Samdung tablet to work with 1 game
So what's up?????
Danny
Message 20 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 21 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

It shows 1.4.12.2  I thought there was supposed to be a beta version of an improved firmware to correct the problems with the 5g operation. I have t keep powering off in order for me to run 1 game on my tablet to run. Some of the apps on my Android phone take a LOT of time to load. My dload speeds are great on my different devices. See next message

Message 22 of 48
DannyS22
Guide

I have the 2.4 wireless channel set at AUTO, the 5G channel is set 153. These were recommended some time ago when I was having problems.

Danny

Message 23 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Yours may have got the v.12.2 push if yours is actually on v1.4.12.2. Mine got this the other day from NG. We are helping NG beta test on our CAX30s. 

Your connections page looks ok. Power levels are good. 

I'm using Channel 1 and 161 on the WiFi, Smart Connect Enabled, 40Mhz only on 2.4Ghz. MIMO enabled, Airtime Fairness not enabled. Running mixed mode WPA2/WPA3. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 24 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

If this was just taken and the CAX30 has been online for a while, event logs looks ok. Might take another check on this in say an hour or so. Don't clear it, just open event logs and copy and paste the date and post it. 

Message 25 of 48
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7