Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet speed with router

JZnet
Guide

Internet speed with router

Hi!  I have Spectrum internet provider, with cable connected to their newer modem which is connected to internet port on my Netgear N300 WNR2000v3 modem, which is connected via Ethernet cable from Ethernet1 port to my HP desktop PC.  My cable provider is 300mbps but internet speed tests show only 80-90mbps.  So I want to determine if the slower speed is due to the cable provider, or my router, or something else.  I am not a mode/router expert whatsoever, but I do see my router wireless settings show 'channel auto' and 'mode 54mbps' (not sure why it is not 150mbps or 300mbps). That said, I would think my desktop PC should not be affected by the router but rather be using the hard-wired ethernet cable and just passing thru the router.  Please advise.  Thanks!  John

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Internet speed with router

Its due to the router. 

That router doesn't have gigabit ports on it. Only 10/100mbps ports. 

Plus its a slow n300 2.4ghz only device. its wireless speeds are maybe going to give you 30-50mbps.

You'll see a significant improvement in both wired and wireless speeds by upgrading to a decent gigabit dual band router. 

Some of the AX routers have been pretty cheap lately. 

And if you're ok with renewed, there's been a bunch of renewed AX routers on amazon for really cheap

Message 2 of 4
JZnet
Guide

Plemans, thanks for quick reply!  Some final questions:

1. So the 'mode 54mbps' wireless setting (vs 300mbps) is not a factor, correct?

2. So the fact that even though my desktop PC is hard-wired ethernet, it is still impacted by the router?

3. Can I verify my internet provider's speed by taking the router out of the picture and temporarily take the cable that goes from the modem to the router and move it so it goes from the modem to the desktop PC, then run a speed test?  Then put the cable back.

4. Can you recommend a couple lower-cost routers for me?  The only things that use my router (for Wi-Fi) are a 2 smart TV's and 2 cell phones. 

Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

the "up to 54mbps" will impact your wireless speeds but not your wired. 

the router is bottlenecking you. 

You can connect a pc directly to the modem (you'll have to reboot both) but then nothing else is going to work. 

In terms of what to recommend, I'd just search amazon for "renewed netgear". You'll find a bunch on there. 

Everything to single router solutions to mesh solutions for better coverage. That'd let you choose what works best for your home/performance and your budget. When you say low-cost, it leaves a wide range as my low cost is different from yours. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7