Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Link Aggregation Between NetGear CM1100 Cable Modem, JGS524E Switch, and Orbi RBR750 WiFi

TLJ337
Aspirant

Link Aggregation Between NetGear CM1100 Cable Modem, JGS524E Switch, and Orbi RBR750 WiFi

I'm setting up a new home network using all NetGear equipment:  CM1100  Cable Modem, JGS524E Switch, and Orbi RBR750 WiFI Router.

I plan to use Link Aggregation (LAG) between the modem, switch, and WiFi router.  

Question: Should I connect the modem to the switch (which serves multiple devices) and the switch to the WiFi router? 

The JGS524 documentation says that "Link aggregation groups (LAGs) allow you to combine multiple Ethernet links to a single
logical link."  Can the switch support two sets of LAGS, one connected to the cable modem, the other to the WiFi router?

TIA,

TLJ337

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Link Aggregation Between NetGear CM1100 Cable Modem, JGS524E Switch, and Orbi RBR750 WiFi

If you enable LAG on the CM modem than you would enable LAG on the WAN side on the RBR and connect the RBR directly to the CM modem. Switch would be connected after the RBR. 

Message 2 of 4
TLJ337
Aspirant

Re: Link Aggregation Between NetGear CM1100 Cable Modem, JGS524E Switch, and Orbi RBR750 WiFi

I need a clarification:

Can the Orbi RBR750 WiFi router support (1) a pair of linked aggregated connections to the NetGear CM1100 Cable Modem AND simultaneously support (2) a different pair of linked aggregated connections to the NetGear JGS524E Switch?

I currently connect the CM1100 cable modem to the Orbi RBR750 yellow internet ethernet port and the adjacent ethernet port. 

Can I establish a second linked aggregation connection from the two right most ethernet ports on the Orbi RBR750  to the JGS524E Switch?

TIA,  

TLJ 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

LAG is only supported on the WAN side:

• Ports – Orbi Router - Three (3) 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports - One (1) 1Gbps Gigabit Ethernet WAN port • Ports – Orbi Satellite - Two (2) 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports • Link aggregation using WAN port and a Gigabit Ethernet port(one from the LAN side)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7