Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lose internet connection when my cable modem is connected to my wireless router

JKBoomer
Follower

Lose internet connection when my cable modem is connected to my wireless router

I have a CM500 cable modem and a Netgear R6250 wireless router. I've had the CM500 for about a month (using Comcast) and have had it hooked up to the wireless router with no problem. I recently moved and when I first connected my system back up, things worked fine. After about 6pm, my wireless router no longer has an internet signal. I've reset both and have done a factory reset as well but to no avail. I've tried using an older Netgear WNDR4000 and had the same issue. I didn't have connection to the internet wirelessly. My main desktop was hardwire connected to the wireless routers and I didn't have connection there either. I called Comcast and they checked the cable modem out and it was working fine. The only way I can have Internet connection is if I connect my network cable from my cable modem directly to my desktop. I can't figure out what this issue is.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lose internet connection when my cable modem is connected to my wireless router

Using the desktop that has Internet access when connected to the modem, connect instead to the router and access the admin pages. In the basic settings (I think) you should see options for how the router reports its MAC address on the WAN (Internet) side. Select the option to ‘Use Computer MAC Address’. After making the change reconfigure for a normal setup with the router connected to the modem, power cycle both the modem and the router. This should have the effect that the modem no longer detects a change in MAC address when you switch from PC to router connected to the modem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lose internet connection when my cable modem is connected to my wireless router

Using the desktop that has Internet access when connected to the modem, connect instead to the router and access the admin pages. In the basic settings (I think) you should see options for how the router reports its MAC address on the WAN (Internet) side. Select the option to ‘Use Computer MAC Address’. After making the change reconfigure for a normal setup with the router connected to the modem, power cycle both the modem and the router. This should have the effect that the modem no longer detects a change in MAC address when you switch from PC to router connected to the modem.

Message 2 of 3
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

JKBoomer, I’m assuming that worked for you, if so great? I would however be interested in knowing if Comcast register your account to a specific MAC address, do you know if they do, would you be willing to ask them?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7