Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nest Protect with CM1000v2 on RCN

Orbusii
Aspirant

Nest Protect with CM1000v2 on RCN

Hello,

My cable provider is RCN and, after upgrading to a CM1000v2 modem, I'm trying to get Nest Protects onto the network and talking to the Nest app.  Telling the Protect to update its wifi settings from the app turns on the Protect's blue light but then the app spins indefinitely at the "connecting" phase. Do any of you have Protects working with RCN?  They worked with my previous modem/router on the same RCN plan -- only the modem/router changed.

Google's Protect support page says, "Enable IPv6 - Your Protect requires IPv6 in order to be added to the Nest app."  I'm assuming mine don't talk to the app because RCN pushes out an IPv4-Only profile to the CM1000v2.  The CM1000v2's IP Provisioning Mode is "IPv4 Only."  I believe only RCN can change the modem's profiles.

Old, working setup:

• Motorola MG7550 acting as both CM and wifi router.  The WAN was in Dual Stack eRouter provisioning mode and received an IPv6 WAN address.  Notes: The cable modem setup screen had no IPv6 address but the WAN page did.  Nests showed up in the app.

New setup:

• modem: Netgear CM1000v2, v1.01.03 firmware
  • router: ASUS RT-AC3200

I'm wondering a few things if anyone can help:

• is IPv6 config really the issue here?
  • does anyone have IPv6 working with RCN with this modem?
  • can the CM1000v2 be setup for IPv6 within the LAN -- to satisfy Nest -- even if it's IPv4-only to the WAN?
  • can the router use IPv6 despite the cable modem having this IPv4-only profile (i.e., pass IPv6 through to the router while the modem itself is IPv4-only)?  It seems the Motorola had this kind of setup since the "public IPv6 address" was blank but the router side's WAN IPv6 address was set.
  • Any other suggestions?

I should mention, most of the 5 Nests are on 20' ceilings so I hope to learn more before taking them down to scan their QR codes for re-adding to the app. One is on a 9' ceiling that I use for quicker tests.  When I remove it from the app and re-add it, it tries pulling settings from the other Nests (still on the old Motorola config) and spins indefinitely.  I'll probably have to pull down the other 4 and reset them so the new Protects don't ask them for settings, but I hope to learn more before hauling a ladder around.

Thanks for any help!

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

The cm1000 is a modem only device. It gets an ip address from the isp and supplies that to the router. The router does the rest in regards to ipv4/6 and connecting device to it. 

You'd be better of checking with the asus forums for help 

Message 2 of 4
Orbusii
Aspirant

Thanks, Plemans.  To be sure I understand before going to ASUS: a router is able to run dual stack even if the CM is provisioned for IPv4-only?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

IPv4/6 is set through the router not through the modem. It should pass both ipv4/6 through to the router. 

IPv4/6 shouldn't stop your nest connects from working. That'd be the router and its setup/settings. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7