Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 C7000V2 Modem Router slow download speeds

Kitsap
Master

@RND1023 wrote:

Since I don't use ethernet, does that really matter? I found this attachment for my WIFI. It shows a speed of 780 which is pretty darn good, but I don't get why it doesn't show up in the speed test if that is correct.

Most likely not.

The 780 number is the theoretical link transmission capacity.  In real life, the actual throughput capacity is probably less than half of that.

Message 26 of 33
RND1023
Guide

I have several ethernet cables laying around, mostly short. The one I have been using is a Staples Cat5e. There is no way to know if any are a good quality. Just because one cost more than the other doesn't mean anything in todays market.

It's going to take me some time to do all this. I'll post when I can.

Message 27 of 33
Kitsap
Master

@RND1023 wrote:

I have several ethernet cables laying around, mostly short. The one I have been using is a Staples Cat5e. There is no way to know if any are a good quality. Just because one cost more than the other doesn't mean anything in todays market.

It's going to take me some time to do all this. I'll post when I can.

There is a very real chance the Ethernet port on your laptop is limited to 100 Mbps transfer capacity. 

For new patch cables, Amazon is a good source.  Their Cat 6 basic series is more than adequate at a reasonable price.

Message 28 of 33
RND1023
Guide

You and I were saying earlier that the Xfinity speed test isn't worth it. In that article you supplied the guy recommends it.  "I find that the xfinity speed test gives the most reliable results, almost all of the time (and it had better, since Comcast is the largest broadband provider in the U.S.)."

Message 29 of 33
RND1023
Guide

I looked up my pc specs. I think you hit on the issue.

Laptop Network Card
Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN

Message 30 of 33
Kitsap
Master

@RND1023 wrote:

Laptop Network Card

Now you know, another piece of the puzzle.  The Wi-Fi card and the Ethernet network card are different pieces inside your laptop.  Each with different specifications.

The Comcast test throws a web browser program variable into the mix.  Long term it does not have a good track record.

The stand alone Ookla test does not involve a web browser and if you connect to a local Comcast server it should provide the most consistent results long term. 

Have you successfully connected to the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band with your laptop?

Message 31 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Might check to see if your Laptop supports USB3.0, though 2.0 may work as well, and if you want faster ethernet speeds, you could install a USB to ethernet adapter that supports 1000Mpbs. 

@RND1023 wrote:

Laptop Network Card

Message 32 of 33
RND1023
Guide

5GHz is the one I use. You can see that in the test results I have posted. I have a 3.0 usb connection. I don't need faster ethernet speeds because I don't use it.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7