Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX8 WiFi Cable Modem Router

jenyurko
Initiate

Nighthawk AX8 WiFi Cable Modem Router

Picked up a brand new Nighthawk AX8 WiFi Cable Modem Router (Model CAX80), plugged it in, had my ISP (WOW) provision it, and .......... nothing. A signal was obviously getting to the box, but I couldn't connect to the internet via Ethernet or WiFi on any device in the house. I called my ISP back, had them redo it. He said I should have gotten a popup Netgear Genie popup on my computer. I did not. Still no connection. Did some trouble shooting, still nothing. My ISP said call Netgear. So I did. One of their 'expert Nighthawk techs' got on the phone and ran me through a few things and we found I had no IP address, which is why going to routerlogin.net, the 198 address, or using the Nighthawk app would not work. He said to call the ISP back and have them reprovision it. So I did. And nothing new happened, I still couldn't connect to the internet. My ISP said call Netgear. 

And round and round we go.

SO my question...

Is this box actually WOW compatible? It's on their list of "compatible" modem/routers - I checked before I purchased it and at least one reviewer on the BestBuy website said it worked with their WOW service.

Or did I just talk to a bunch of WOW tech dummies?

I'd like to think that maybe it's my desktop causing the problem, but that doesn't explain the lack of connection on just WiFi. I'm currently back to my previous Netgear modem/router until I can figure this out -  or return the new one - or talk to somebody with my ISP that knows their head from their butt). $400 some odd dollars is a lot of money to shell out for a box that doesn't, or isn't going to, work with my internet.

Message 1 of 6
TheDuk
Aspirant

Picked up  mine yesterday & had similar installation issues. Showed internet as connected but would not recognise wifi/devices. Nighthawk app did nothing for installation - got to checking internet and spun endelessly.

Went onto my ISP (iinet) web site & checked support pages - it had this device listed and step-by-step instructions in how to enable it.

Followed those instructions (which were very easy to understand) - just meant making some changes to the router settings.

Once that was completed, eveyrthing connected immediately!

Been no issue since - and gotta say - fantastic speeds throughout my entire apartment, even on the balcony. No more issues with streaming services on TV or lagging on all devices.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6
jenyurko
Initiate

I'm glad you got yours working, and I wish that would work for this one. I cannot open router settings without an IP, however.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
AceofAces
Aspirant

What setting changes did you make, I am having the same issue
Message 5 of 6
Baint50
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue with the AX8 and WOW ISP. WOW says I have a good signal but I have no internet connection on my end. Can’t connect to the router via Ethernet nor wifi so how do you change router settings as another reply stated ??
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7