Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk C7800 automatic restart when no signal from cable

Omnoten
Aspirant

Nighthawk C7800 automatic restart when no signal from cable

So I have a simple issue, I want to use my router as an AP since I moved to a new house and here I got fiber which is my only option. I was able to configure the router to work as an AP by disabling DHCP and assigning it an static IP that works within my network but there is a small issue.

The issue is that the router keeps restarting if there is no cable signal and by doing it does a full restart every 30s or so and it takes about 20s to get the Wi-Fi to reconnect.

Is there any way I can disable that automatic restart to be able to use it as an access point?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded? 

I thought only the CAX line of modems had the auto reboot if no signal was detected...

Message 2 of 9
Omnoten
Aspirant

Current Firmware is V6.01.07 and I was using XFinity comcast as the previous ISP 

Also just in case for full clarification router model is NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S C7800 which is a modem/router combo unit.

@FURRYe38

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the clarification. I have one myself.

Wondering if NG put the auto reboot in newer code. Only thing I would try is to put a good quality coax splitter on the line and tap off it to the C7800 in faux AP mode which would probably stop the auto reboot. You don't have to do anything else. I know I had my C7800 in faux AP mode a while back as a test and saw no auto reboots, however it's FW hasn't been updated as I've not had it officially online for years. 

Message 4 of 9
Kitsap
Master

A coax terminator for the open input might do the job.  The snip is from Amazon.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 164321.jpg

Message 5 of 9
Omnoten
Aspirant

@Kitsap @FURRYe38 I will try with the terminator, the splitter didn't work so I might try the terminator and a combination, I will update with my results if it either works or it does not

Message 6 of 9
wchardin25
Aspirant

I have exact same issue. Any solution found?
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to ensure that there is a good signal on the coax line input of the modem. 

@wchardin25 wrote:
I have exact same issue. Any solution found?

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any update on this? 

@Omnoten wrote:

I will try with the terminator, the splitter didn't work so I might try the terminator and a combination, I will update with my results if it either works or it does not

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7